Long range revolver bullets

Ahh I see said the blindman to his deaf daughter :yep:
I still do all mine by hand each step. I am not a fast loader. I still am using a small electronic lyman scale. I used to have a electronic powder measure but it bit the dust and went to case prep heaven. I coildnt bring myself tonpop another 250-300 for another one when the old lyman scale and tapping worked so accurately. At the time I had the electronic I was loading for 308,30-06,454,243,&460( in a thompson Encore barrel) now I’m onlybloading for the .243 & 454 & .460 currently .

4 Likes

Just did 1050 308, about 400 150g sst and rest 150 fmjbt.
First Imperial lube, size and trim on the Dillon with case feeder and power trim. Back in the tumbler to clean the case lube off.

Then the work started, flash hole, chamfer out and in.

Then back into the Dillon to prime. Really like the feel of the Dillon seating primers.

Then loading blocks and the Hornady auto despenser.
Once the first block is full its off to the first Rockchucker to seat and second Rockchucker to factory crimp. Back and forth from the powder measure to the presses.
The Hornady takes about 30 seconds to throw a load, and takes me about the same to run through the 2 presses so pretty busy. And don’t forgot to move the funnel each time!

6 Likes

I almost got wore out reading the load procedure :yep: :joy: @albroswift

5 Likes

I start my taking dirty cases and putting them in the tumbler after they are clean they get measured for stretch & trimmed(if needed) and then chamfered in and out and then deprimed , primer pockets and holes are cleaned then they get reprimed then they get belled then powder charged accomplished one at a time with the lyman electronic scale and a plastic teaspoon.(lol) Then projectile placed in with Rock Chucker then roll crimped with Rock Chucker after switching dies. My dies are all custom Hornady 4 die sets . On rifles belling case is not necessary or needed and no crimping necessary or needed. I will run batches of 20-25 at a time. When I do each set one bullet at a time I usually have about 1.5 hrs. In this but I get very consistent loads especially on the powder charge cause each one is measured exact one at a time.

5 Likes

Firing up blow torch…

When I went into the realm of black powder cartridges, my mind went to the always full and compressed loads point of view.

I was rollin up some ACP when I decided to add a veggie wad and filler to my standard 230fr target loads.

Well it seems to tighten the groups up, either 45 or 357. So we makem compressed and full just like the BPC before them.

3 Likes

Seems sorta dangerous :flushed:

2 Likes

I always like to us powders that fill the case with a single charge . A lot less chance of a double charge.

4 Likes

Or at least close enough thatvif you doubled it it would overflow

2 Likes

Not in the least bit. going back to the good ole days is never dangerous.

3 Likes

Something I like about H110, if I fill the case to the base of the bullet I am likely just a bit under max charge. H110 likes to have the bullet sitting tightly on the column of powder, max charges are usually somewhat compressed even with max case length/ max OAL. (H110 does not compress much) See this in Casull, 45LC Freedom Arms/ TC loads, 44 mag, 357 mag.

5 Likes