M&P Rebuild

As a change of pace, I’ve started a rebuild of an LEO trade-in M&P. It’s a box stock 4 ¼" barrel M&P 1.0 with night sights. I got it pretty cheap and it’s in near perfect condition - carried a lot, shot a little, as they say.

I don’t have the scope of work completely decided on, just yet. I know it will get an Apex trigger, some Ed Brown parts, stippling, and slide milling.

My first step is to modify the cocking serrations to remove the waves, so I’m setting up for that. I need the slide level, the mill vice rotated to match the slant on the serrations, and the mill head tilted to match the angle of the serrations.

Here, I’m getting ready to tilt the head.

11 Likes

Needed to narrate with a Barry White voice

I’m gonna tilt the head baby

Sorry, nice photo, carry on :grin:

9 Likes

I’m interested in the project. What machine are you using? I was a plumber and had our machinists make gates for 2" valves, whenever it was too difficult to replace the entire valve. I was always amazed at the skill involved.

10 Likes

It’s a Precision Matthews PM-727M with a 3-axis DRO.

https://www.precisionmatthews.com/shop/pm-727m/

11 Likes

Thank you for the reply. Hmm ( grunting in my best caveman style ) me want!

9 Likes

:drooling_face:

8 Likes

I’d like to have it and know how to use it much more than just the basics.

4 Likes

I have by no means mastered this mill. I spent two months making chips and throwing away small practice projects before I dared mill anything important.

When I started work on my 80% built, I had to scrap the slide, and then the frame, after making mistakes I could not work around.

It’s a commitment. I have read that you can plan on spending at least the cost of the mill on tooling and fixtures. I’m not there yet, but I can easily see how that’s more than possible.

6 Likes

It’s hard to see what I have here because of the machining marks and the glare. But I straightened the cocking serrations and added a pocket cut at the same angle as the serrations and the high power cut.

Next up is the slide top. I’m trying to decide between nothing or three 1/16" wide, 1/32" deep serrations.

7 Likes

Sexy stuff, er, I mean

Sexy stuff…baby

5 Likes

I decided to design my own optics plate system for this pistol, based on the idea behind Smith & Wesson’s C.O.R.E. plates.

It looks like this:

9 Likes

Here’s what the machined and blasted stainless slide looks like now:

8 Likes

Space age, looks more 2911 than 1911 :+1:

4 Likes

Looks very clean @BobRock

5 Likes

And even more like a customized M&P! :crazy_face:

6 Likes

:facepalm:

4 Likes

sometimes you need to wonder if I step in it on purpose :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

4 Likes

It was pretty obvious to me…

4 Likes

Like in the title of the thread.

4 Likes

The adapter plate works pretty well.

7 Likes