M44 carbine work

Well I had a spur of the moment acquisition and end up with a m-44 carbine in my possession do you like it it’s in good condition and all numbers match. The wood on it’s is very well condition for the age for a wartime rifle. Since it’s been well preserved, I was wondering if I should go through the process
of wood refinishing and doing some metal refinishing on it. Some would say that changing it would destroy the value of it as a collector. I think it would look good with everything being cleaned up and the wood refinish plus a little bit of polish and work done to the metal parts.

I’m asking here how should I go about recondition the wood and bring it to his full potential. The other option would be to find out whether it’s worth it to restore it or leave it alone for historical purposes.

7 Likes

Nice rifle. I wouldn’t do any refinishing as it will destroy any historical or collector value.
If you did want to do work on one as a project, get a beater that already has issues.

8 Likes

Agreed with above.

7 Likes

@Mosinvirus @Glockshooter79 would this also apply to fixing dents in the wood stock?

5 Likes

If you try to fix dents, you will be refinishing. So I would not recommend doing anything to an all matching rifle in a decent condition .

6 Likes

Yes . I wouldn’t do anything to it except keep the metal nice with a light film of oil or whatever to keep it nice. And of course shoot it.

6 Likes

Well if that’s the case then I guess I can shoot it occasionally. Went to a function test. I thought it would be a really nice hunting rifle of all things LOL. But it looks like I have to cough up another 350 bucks to get a beer if I can find one around.

6 Likes

I would hunt with it. just don’t refinish it. :sunglasses:

7 Likes

If the dents in the stock comes from nazi skull crushing - they add value IMO

7 Likes

Agree with my Mosin comrades here, keep it as-is. I essentially asked the same question but my former PU has a reconditioned stock when put back in to infantry use so I was ok with refinishing. You could grab another set of furniture and refinish it keeping the original as-is?

6 Likes

Do not refinish it, it actually looks good.

5 Likes

I took one of mine hunting years ago, I was hunting heavy brush and thought why not. I didn’t see anything so no kill with it. the cartridge is plenty strong enough to take large animals.

4 Likes