MACV-SOG Knives

I have always loved these designs and the history behind them. I have always wanted an original but I can’t afford one. One company that made it’s name from making reproductions of them use a steel in the blade that I don’t care for so I never bought one. Then a company by the name of Bark River Knives did a collaboration with Vehement knives to produce a very nice version of it in my favorite steel. Since the day it arrived I have loved this knife. Since the blade is made from 1/4" CPM-3v with a convexed grind it is very tough. Since the blade is 1/4" thick you would think it wouldn’t slice or cut very well but it slices and cuts like a much thinner knife. I put it through it’s paces with bushcraft and field related task. It passed with flying colors. I could be more happy with the performance and quality of this knife. Also the sheath is much nicer then you would normally see from most manufacturers.

Does anybody have a original or reproduction? If so post photos and give me your thoughts on the knife and it’s design.

high%20art

I have 6 more months to wait before I will have pictures of them, but Randel made knifes still hand make the same knives they made for our special forces during Vietnam. I’m at 4 years and counting on two knives they are making for me. Give them a look if you really like the original knives

I have always wanted a Randall Model 14 along with others. I am mainly talking about the CISO knives that were made in Japan and given to MACV-SOG. Still Randall made knives are classics.

Do you like Al Mar knives?

Yes I do. I wish they still made some of their older models since I have always wanted to own them.

Me too I wish I had an SERE fixed blade AL MAR. As it is I only own this one at the moment.

@Steel,
Nice blade, I’m a Bark River fan myself, Bark River springbok CPM 3v first production run / bushcrafter belt knife

That Applegate-Fairbairn dagger is very nice. The SERE IV fixed blade, original SERE folder and The Warrior are some of Al-mar knives I have always wanted. Lucky for me I have a 2x72" knife grinder coming my way. Just need a few other pieces of equipment and I can start practicing to improve my knifemaking skills. Then I can make some of the designs I have always wanted but with the materials and changes I prefer for myself. Then maybe one day when I have my own designs and feel the end results are worthy I might put a few up for sale.

Keep us in the loop! I would love to see what you do.

I have never handled that model but it looks like a handy EDC blade for sure. It’s also made from my favorite steel. CPM-3v holds a good edge for a long time while being tough as nails and resisting rust very well for a tool steel. Even salt water has a problem causing rust on CPM-3v in a days time.

I will do that for sure.

RMJ Tactical, Marine Raider dagger CPM 3V
I thought you might like this one, it has historical significance, RMJ pays tribute to the WW2 Marine Raider dagger, with this interpretation.

You are correct. I love Ryan’s work. His tomahawks are very nice as well.

Negan, I mean Steel, check this one out, tell me if you recognize it

I see you found Rick’s Cold Steel axe gang hatchet for him. :smiley:

Haha that was simple for you! It’s a really Kick-Ass Hatchet, throws really well.

The main thing I have heard about them having issues is the hickory handles breaking because the grain didn’t run straight the entire length of the handle. That really isn’t a problem for myself because I can just make a proper hickory handle and hang the hatchet head properly. For the price I have been thinking about picking one up and do some custom stuff to the head and handle.

I can only speak to mine, I don’t know who told you that? I’ve thrown this Hatchet 100 + x really beat on it, nothing wrong with the Hickory on the one I got.

@Steel,
The only negative to the hatchet that I see is the finish of the head, it’s paint or something, so far it’s holding up, but you can tell it’s going to come off eventually.

I have seen it from different people. For the price it doesn’t bother me. With some of the lower priced axes and hatchets you can find handles that have the same issue. The coating I will probably strip as soon as I get it since I hate any kind of coating on a knife or axe