Made in America (or a reputable country...)

feeling the bug to make more things I own be american made - am I out of my rocker or does this make sense? Most smart phones are not american made - hard pressed to find one that is fully, sadly. What thoughts do you all have on this? Avoid cheap labor offshore somehow as it gives us a dependence on other nations? This can be guns, laptops, phones, cheap plastic items…

I’m pretty much 100% dutch by origin and people say that makes me cheap but I may buy more quality stuff if its made in a country we can trust or something like that… discuss :slight_smile:

12 Likes

I agree with you in your desire to buy more things made in the USA or countries other than 3rd world hell holes or countries that don’t spawn diseases because of a total lack of understanding of basic sanitation. But many companies do business in those places to boost profits and that sorta makes us stuck into playing their game if we want the product. One comapny comes to mind… Apple. I don’t have any of their products, period. Almost as bad is Microsoft and bill gates but for different reasons. But I can’t do without a computer and I need an operating system for it and don’t want to learn Linux. So I’m kind stuck.

In firearms it’s easy to stay American or at least European. OK, my car is a Japanese design, I don’t know where it was made, but I suspect here since it has no hooks fore and aft to allow it to be chained in the cargo hold of a ship.

Lotsa stuff is made in countries you and I would prefer to stay away from. But many of those items can just be passed over IMO as not being essential.

9 Likes

All electronics are made overseas cheap.
The only firearm I know still made 100% in the USA is Henry.

7 Likes

We try . Our cars are mixed, Chevy, Ford, Toyota (maybe made here) and Honda(same). Old VW from Germany but I don’t think that one counts against me. I’m screwed on the phone but holding on to the oldish one as long as I can. I heard Motorola may have a US made phone but haven’t researched it. Tried clothes too but some are ok price wise and others are unaffordable for us.

7 Likes

Someone correct me if I’m wrong. How about KelTec, Desert Tech, Mossberg and Ruger? Probably Remington and Savage too. I’d list black rifle manufacturers I suspect being 100% US (Like Knights, Robinson, and POF) but I just don’t know if they or others sub’ out parts for them to finish.

Lots of other guns aren’t US made though. But many are made in countries were they know enough not to defecate in a hole in the floor and actually use something other than their hands to wipe with and wash their hands after relieving themselves.

I’m trying to think if there are any made today in the lands of unwashed hands and I can’t think of any other than Polytech and AKs and SKSs of many years ago. Anyone?

7 Likes

PSA advertises all of it’s inhouse firearms as American made, but obviously can’t confirm how true that is…lots of AR and handgun makers in U.S. even though a lot of them are premium inflated pricing…

6 Likes

I think most of my firearms are made here.

5 Likes

did you know some of the thrift store donations end up overseas as every day wear for some countries? kinda crazy but I know nigeria does it

6 Likes

That’s good that the clothes are getting used. I have to be at a certain standard for office clothes but outside of work I wear them out then use them as rags.

6 Likes

I was looking into them for my next phone - I’m still not a fan of no removable batteries though but you kinda have limited options for that - I have a few older battery removable phones in the old stock. I think I saw moto was bought by someone and not US much anymore sadly

6 Likes

That stinks

5 Likes

yeah I’m sorta the same - there are some good alternatives that I run in some older systems - chrome OS is an option and linux based but pretty user-friendly depending on periphrials - neverware and cloudready do a thing with that I’ve messed with

6 Likes

This is true. My cousin served in the Peace Corps in Tanzania for two years. She has photos of Tanzanian men wearing these donated shirts. One guy was wearing a shirt that said “Show me your tits” and another that said “#1 American Girl.” These guys didn’t speak English, so they had no idea. I must get those photos from her…that’s some funny meme shit right there. :laughing: :laughing:

6 Likes

Assembled here, from parts made overseas.

“Made in America Or Not Made At All”. Rest assured, when you read the roll-mark on the barrel of a Henry it’s going to say “Made in the USA.”

6 Likes

If anyone is still interested in this start here I have others hiding somewhere in this damn 'puter

Made in USA, American-Made Product Shopping, Support Our Nation, Made in America Puts Our People to Work (madeinusaforever.com)

8 Likes