MAGAZINES ! How many do you keep loaded ? How many do you carry ? WHY ?

I’ve been wondering how many here keep your magazines for your firearms loaded, and how many are loaded. And when you carry, do you carry any spare mags with you ? Just looking for opinions and feedback.

7 Likes

I always carry a spare mag, mostly in case of malfunction. I keep about 20 AR mags loaded and a few pistol mags.

7 Likes

I keep three loaded for the 1911 three for my Kahr cw45 two ar mags and keep two revolvers loaded and two for my Sig 365. Also keep the side saddle for my 870 loaded with 00 buck. And I carry at least one spare mag on me for the gun I am carrying.

7 Likes

None, zero, zipper, notta.
Six in a 357 magNUM will settle any ruckus that happens along.

6 Likes

as in magnum
or is it a 357sig with six magazines?

7 Likes

:rofl: you know what & how many i have loaded…
As far as edc, 2 extra mags on my belt, & a big fuc@%ing knife.

8 Likes

My answer I’m sure will not help or be believed but here it goes.

Q: how many magazines do I own?
A: I honestly can’t begin to even guess. Full boxes of 5.56 magazines not including loaded ones. Here is an answer that might help. I recommend you Have 7 magazines loaded and in your carrier/ vest or whatever you have. One for your rifle and 6 to carry. Yes I practice this. Pistol 3 magazines usually works all loaded. But I carry more than that most days. Yes I always carry spares.
Truck gun has 8 loaded mags and 6 extra boxes of ammo for rifle. Two extra 32 round pistol magazines as well.

Bed 15 loaded magazines, 3 loaded in the hallway and 1extra 32 round pistol mag. 27 loaded in the basement in a bunch of areas. This list is only for 5.56 and 9mm. I’m not going into all the other calibers.
Like I said no one will believe this in the first place and I know none of this helps.

9 Likes

A WW2 ammo belt of M1 clips with associated LBE of the time.
A VN era LBE loaded with AR type mags, 30s and 20s.
1 mag for the HD AR loaded with exanding ammo. And 4 30s of ball in the case next to it.
An engineer case for the mini14 (12 mags?).
One mag for the 5" M&P.
2 mags (40 rounds) for M&P 9c EDC.
Buncha other mags mostly .22 for vermin around the homestead but some 9mm. one loaded .357 wheelgun, does that count?
60 rnd drum for 5.56.
I’m probably forgetting some.
Lots & lots & lots of 5.56 clips, yeah I know not mags, but just a few seconds away from being loaded mags.

BTW, no kids otherwise I’d need to do things differently.

I forgot, how many get EDCed… The 2 mags for the 9c. One fits the pistol grip, the other doesn’t. It’s an extended mag sized for the gun, but extended to hold the rest of 40 rounds if I remember my EDC ammo load. A full size mag was too big for where it had to fit.

9 Likes

I think Dad might have been in your neck of the woods at some time. We think and plan a lot alike.

7 Likes

kind of surprised all you AR owners with boxes of ammo don’t use this

8 Likes

I do!

7 Likes

I keep all my mags loaded. How many I carry for pistol or rifle depends on the gun/s I’m carrying and what I’m using it/them for, and/or where I’m going with them.

8 Likes

I only have a G19. I have 9 California mags loaded. One of the originals is acting up so I only keep it for malfunction drills on the range, and I don’t keep it loaded. When I carry, I keep two extras on me, one on my belt, another in my support pocket. The other mags I stage where I expect to spend lots of time.

8 Likes

I use one of those with the ammo on stripper clips.

7 Likes

I do not keep any magazines that don’t work. Not for training or anything else. If you want to introduce malfunctions use dummy rounds loaded in WORKING magazines. This is emergency equipment and it all need to work ALL the time.

8 Likes

That makes sense. I’m also little nervous about letting good magazines drop to the ground, though. As long as I can tell the difference, wouldn’t it be better to knock around a faulty one?

7 Likes

So practice mag changes over your bed.
Glock mags are pretty strong. I have never messed one up dropping them on the ground at a USPSA or IDPA match. The only mag I remember messing up was an aluminum AR mag I stepped on at a match.

6 Likes

I guess I must have ruined the mag myself by opening it up. I’ve been wondering about it. I used a little screwdriver and chewed up the baseplate a bit. Maybe I nicked the walls in the process and that’s why it’s catching and not pushing the last few cartridges up like it should.

6 Likes

Pop the base plate off again and look at the inside of the body. Sand paper will smooth out a rough spot. Springs and followers are cheap. New baseplates are cheap too.

7 Likes

I opened it up again, but I didn’t see or feel anything obvious. The inside has a steel sleeve that doesn’t show anything but smooth wear marks. The only thing remotely rough was some plastic sprues that mechanically retain the sleeve. No obvious signs of wear or impact on those, either.

6 Likes