MAGAZINES ! How many do you keep loaded ? How many do you carry ? WHY ?

Don’t really know how many I have loaded, have them loaded for a few different rifles in 308 and 223. Have a few pistol mags loaded for different guns and calibers. Have many I don’t keep loaded. lots of them are still in the package.

Now if we talkin bout belts…then yeah I got a slew of them loaded.

6 Likes

Personally, If it has a magazine and I own it. Rest assured it’s loaded… I have magazines through out my home, I have loaded mags in ammo cans so I can grab and go easily. I have an ammo can in each vehicle and in each room in my home. It’s much faster to do a mag change then it is to load one!!!

8 Likes

I have 11 magazines for my 1911. 9 are used in the 3 mag rotation once a week. I originally kept the sames one loaded all the time. And after a year of not shooting it, one of the 2 WC 47Ds I have was not feeding the last round. The spring being compressed did in fact ruin the spring. I can take the base plate off and pull it out, but I didn’t. Because in the back of my mind I know about metal “memory”, and a robot is better at making a spring then me. So now I rotate them once a week. 2 weeks unloaded, 1 week loaded.

I knew the line that people are told and repeat without verifying is bullshit, but I guess I was lazy. Loading and unloading does not wear it out sooner. If you think it does, ask for your money back. Uncompressed is probably the longest life, usage is second, compressed constant is last in life.

6 Likes

One of my 9mm Endomag conversions was sticky. The follower was hanging up and returning very slowly. Everything looked smooth, but I sanded and polished the follower a little bit. Problem solved. It may have been slightly out of spec and had some extra material on the follower.

7 Likes

I keep a case of bulk 5.56 loaded up in Pmags with covers, stored in ammo cans, mainly for range trips. I also keep 3 mags loaded up with 64gr Winchester Power-point, 1 in my M&P COR/other 2 on a ‘patrol’ belt, for home defense. My G19 is always loaded, whether when carrying or on my nightstand, with 124gr Speer Gold Dot. When carrying I have 2 spares. I have a bunch of spare Glock mags but don’t really keep them loaded.

7 Likes

Thanks, I’ll try it. I won’t be able to test it until I can get to range after lockdown is over though. :pensive:

7 Likes

In my experience, Glock mags hold up the best to being loaded and sitting.

4 Likes

This mag has been loaded and stuck in that gun for almost 30 years. the spring still feels strong.

8 Likes

a 180 folder?

sweet

7 Likes

I gots two of em, one never been fired, the one in the pic has been fired many times.

7 Likes

It all depends on the activity.
Plinking at the range only requires a few.
Competition matches require a lot more.
Actual training requires even more.
Once again, the correct reply is:
It all depends.
Sorry about that, not very helpful but hopefully accurate enough to be of some use.

4 Likes

Some magazines are better than others. By a country mile. Getting away with it doesn’t mean you should do it.

3 Likes

When do the boogaloo begin, crappy pic, but you try holdin this thing with a loaded 60 round drum one handed and then take a pic with the other hand, maybe when I was younger.

8 Likes

:muscle:

Rambo

7 Likes

That way ain’t no sweat, i’m holding it sideways and away from to take a pic with the left hand.

7 Likes

Maybe you need some wheels under the drum to help you ? Magpul Hoveround :rofl:

7 Likes

That’s why @LonewolfMcQuade got his Bionic arm :rofl: :joy: :rofl:

6 Likes

Hmmmm, we may need to start a thread on what new name he should have, like robowolf, RoboRuss sounds better though. maybe the six million dollar wolf.

4 Likes

:thinking:

7 Likes

New avatar? Looks cool.

6 Likes