MAGNUMITIS

8 Likes

I have had several people only shoot 1 round out of my 454. Does a great job on deer but not all that pleasant to shoot. If I put 45 colt cowboy loads in it it is like shooting a 22.

4 Likes
4 Likes

My Beowulf is like shooting a 20ga autoloader. Not unpleasant at all.

3 Likes

To this day no gun has broken more shooters than a 12 gauge with no recoil pad. I see it at least 2 times a month. People want to shot that shotgun but, the owner doesn’t teach them how to manage the recoil = done shooting it in 1 round.

2 Likes

The 450 is more recoil than a 223 but not much more than my 308 (that I like to pretend I have). It is not unlike my 30-30 (that I pretend to have). Once I get to shoot it a little more and get it to function properly, I will see if I can change the muzzle device and tame it more.

ETA: I have a short, slow motion video of the first shot but no way to show it since I do not upload to YT.

4 Likes

The first time I ever fired a .44 magnum handgun, I thought I had made a mistake buying a gun with too much recoil. Later, after I learned how to shoot it, I decided I could handle even more. I moved up to the .460 magnum handgun (S&W 460). There is so much blast from that, that it is hard to believe. But, I shoot it as well as my .44 magnum. So, no big deal.

Same thing for rifles. When I first got the Marlin 1895 in .45-70, I thought after 4 shots that I had had enough for that day. Now, not as bad.

For shotguns, as long as I keep the round count down (less than 10 shots), it doesn’t matter what I shoot. But, when I go sporting clay shooting, I typically shoot about 50 shots in one session. I stopped using 12 gauge for that as it was too much recoil for that many shots, especially if there was no recoil pad.

Differences here seem to be how the recoil impulse goes and if you can redirect it into a less painful direction. With handguns, no problem (for the larger handguns). With rifles and shotguns, all I can do is hold the gun tighter against my shoulder - it helps, but does not solve the problem. Thus, relying on the recoil pad to (also) help minimize the felt recoil.

3 Likes

750 grain bullet 2400+ ft/sec and 10K+ ft/lbs, that thing is a shoulder cannon.

3 Likes

Yea, slugs are evil for noobs. I seen a guy cry from a double barrel 10ga

3 Likes

My shop owner has a .577 trex
It is not fun to shoot at all

4 Likes

But it’s extremely amusing to watch others shoot it! LOL

4 Likes

There is a guy who shoots at same range I frequent who hunts out West a lot and he will show up with a 300 and 338 RUM, strap them in a gun rest and strap gun rest to bench to shoot them…never had the heart to ask him if he ever hit anything without them being strapped down…another friend of mine told me about a rifle a guy gave to him for partial payment for some carpentry work, he also got a box of ammo with only two rounds fired, I asked him what it was, A Remington 338 RUM, I asked if it had a muzzle brake ? he said no, I laughed and said that is why the guy gave it to you, he shot one round, it knocked the crap out of him, he had to shoot it again just make sure, after 2nd round he said F that kicking monster…I told my friend to go trade it off and only shoot it if he had to know…lol…

3 Likes

@rjburk (et al)

One time when I was at the indoor shooting range, I traded guns (for a few shots) with the guy one stall over. He had a rifle (.338 Win. Mag.), and I had my S&W .460 (8.375 inch barrel). After we each fired a few rounds on the other’s guns, we shared our thoughts about each other’s guns.

He thought the S&W .460 was too much, but I thought his .338 Win. Mag. was okay (not too much). Probably more about how to handle the recoil than how much recoil it was.

Note: Whenever I bring my S&W .460 to the range, they always put me on the rifle range (they do that for anything more powerful than .44 magnum).

4 Likes

I have a 1963 Weatherby Mark Deluxe in 300 Weatherby Mag. It does kick but it also hits what you point it at. It isn’t the kind of thing you want to shoot all day with, but it is tolerable if you hold it tight on the shoulder.

3 Likes