Militaria and History

I kept my old interpreter’s soft vest and helmet from Afghanistan. When he was no longer of service to us I put these in my bag and took it from our forward operating base back to Bagram and then to the United States.

@ThisOldGun
Taking a swag at it, I’ld say WW2. It is a printed design with no embroidery, rather cheaply made but kind of cool. I’ve had it for about 35 years.

@58marine I bet you’re correct if it’s printed. Awesome find!

@Grenz45 Your LIFE magazine airdrop story reminded me that I saved these from the shredder at Ft. Dix in NJ. We dropped these into Iraq before the invasion letting them know that hellfire was about to rain down on their heads and to surrender.

Between the majority of them actually being dropped and the few remaining ordered for destruction, I don’t know how many survived. I snagged what I could without anyone noticing.

Imagine being the lucky SOB to find this:

Any paper item from 1781 is just awesome!!!
My guess it is on a linen or animal skin type paper to survive this long.
Treasure for sure.

My guess is the Service Flag was from WW1.
Many were printed out locally as there was no standardization till during WW2.
Many in WW1 were made in the local towns from which the members came from.

When you say No Longer Of use to us?
Never-mind.:smirk_cat:

My son served two tours in Afgan Dirt.
FOB Wolverine both times.
But he did prefer it to Iraqs three.

I tried to get some of the leaflets from my son when he was there.
But he didn’t find any.
PsyOps stuff is always kewl.

@Grenz45. Thanks for the information. That makes alot of sense.

@Grenz45 Your son has put in his time and then some! That stinks being sent to the same shitbox twice in a row.

Apparently this was my grandfathers helmet liner. He fought in WW2 and Korea. One of my uncles dicked it up.

Any idea how I can get the paint off?

Acetone?

Try laquer thinner in a small area. It’s easy on a pro paint job and takes off ‘layers’… not as easy as it sounds. I’m hesitant to restore things like that. You may want to invest in a fixed bale steel pot and insert the liner. No one will see the artwork that way.

Cool piece of family history!