Minimum age to possess a long gun in Ga

Hello,
I know this is not a gun law forum, but does someone know something state or federal that says that a minor can be in possession of a long gun in Georgia? I’m pretty sure that’s the case but all the info I’ve found was on handguns and carrying and what you can’t do
Thanks in advance

5 Likes

federal law prohibits a federal firearms licensee, someone who is by federal law and federal statute licensed to sell firearms to sell a long gun—meaning rifles or shotguns—to anyone under the age of 18, but there is no federal regulation that exists that restricts the sale of long guns by non-licensees.

So, federal law says if you’re a federal firearms licensee, you cannot sell a long gun, rifle or shotgun, to anyone under the age of 18, but there’s no restriction on the sale or possession of long guns by those under the age of 18 in a private transaction.

5 Likes

@Samcey, check with your local and state law enforcement, they’ll have the answers to the questions you’re asking.

6 Likes

For hand guns, a person under 18 may not possess one unless:
A) Attending a hunter education course or a firearms safety course
B) Engaging in practice in the use of a firearm or target shooting at an established range authorized by the governing body of the jurisdiction where such range is located
C) Engaging in an organized competition involving the use of a firearm or participating in or practicing for a performance by an organized non-profit group that uses firearms as a part of such performance
D) Hunting or fishing pursuant to a valid license if such person has in his or her possession a valid hunting or fishing license if required; is engaged in legal hunting or fishing; has permission of the owner of the land on which the activities are being conducted; and the handgun, whenever loaded, is carried only in an open and fully exposed manner
E) Traveling to or from any of the aforementioned activities, if the handgun is not loaded
F) On real property under the control of his or her parent, legal guardian, or grandparent and who has the permission of the parent or legal guardian to possess a handgun
G) At his or her residence and possesses a handgun while exercising rights authorized by Georgia provisions regarding the justified use of force against another with the permission of his or her parent or legal guardian
H) There is no minimum age requirement to possess rifles and shotguns in Georgia

Note (H) above. Someone under the age of 18 may possess a rifle or shotgun in the state of GA provided they abide by the same laws someone over the age of 18 does.

10 Likes

Well that’s good info, don’t be such a stranger :wink:

5 Likes

I’m only certain with Full 30 law, article 1, section 3, line 4: **“Forum members must be at least 18 years of age or older or accompanied by an adult parent/legal guardian (also a vetted member) to actively participate within forum parameters. Unaccompanied minors will be removed and sold to an orphanage in Antarctica” **

5 Likes

This comes from the state of Georgia website. It says firearm here.

When can a minor legally carry a firearm?

Minors may carry firearms when they are attending hunter education and firearms safety courses, practicing target shooting at a range, or participating in competitions or performances that use firearms. With the consent of their parents, minors may also apply for hunting licenses and may carry firearms while on their parents’ property.

The actual code online reads handgun though.
O.C.G.A. § 16-11-132

b) Notwithstanding any other provisions of this part and except as otherwise provided in this Code section, it shall be unlawful for any person under the age of 18 years to possess or have under such person’s control a handgun. A person convicted of a first violation of this subsection shall be guilty of a misdemeanor and shall be punished by a fine not to exceed $1,000.00 or by imprisonment for not more than 12 months, or both. A person convicted of a second or subsequent violation of this subsection shall be guilty of a felony and shall be punished by a fine of $5,000.00 or by imprisonment for a period of three years, or both.

(c) Except as otherwise provided in subsection (d) of this Code section, the provisions of subsection (b) of this Code section shall not apply to:

(1) Any person under the age of 18 years who is:

(A) Attending a hunter education course or a firearms safety course;

(B) Engaging in practice in the use of a firearm or target shooting at an established range authorized by the governing body of the jurisdiction where such range is located;

(C) Engaging in an organized competition involving the use of a firearm or participating in or practicing for a performance by an organized group under 26 U.S.C. Section 501(c)(3) which uses firearms as a part of such performance;

(D) Hunting or fishing pursuant to a valid license if such person has in his or her possession such a valid hunting or fishing license if required; is engaged in legal hunting or fishing; has permission of the owner of the land on which the activities are being conducted; and the handgun, whenever loaded, is carried only in an open and fully exposed manner; or

(E) Traveling to or from any activity described in subparagraphs (A) through (D) of this paragraph if the handgun in such person’s possession is not loaded;

(2) Any person under the age of 18 years who is on real property under the control of such person’s parent, legal guardian, or grandparent and who has the permission of such person’s parent or legal guardian to possess a handgun; or

(3) Any person under the age of 18 years who is at such person’s residence and who, with the permission of such person’s parent or legal guardian, possesses a handgun for the purpose of exercising the rights authorized in Code Section 16-3-21 or 16-3-23.

6 Likes

I’m 18. I just need to prove that it’s legal to give my brother a gun for Christmas

6 Likes

@CzechsixTV, Hey, Brother. You’ve been missed. Hope you stick around.

4 Likes

Thanks. Sorry I haven’t been around but between my day job, my side business(that’s turned into a full time job), moving twice in the last 18 months(and another move likely coming up in a few months), working on my parents house and just general life ‘stuff’ I’ve been too busy for much online activity. I still pop in to the video section once in a while but haven’t had the energy to get involved with discussions. Only reason I’m here now is that I took a little time off of work to get caught up on personal things(and I needed a break). Don’t know how long I’ll be here before life gets in the way again. Hopefully things smooth out sooner rather than later.

7 Likes

achem (taps finger)

8 Likes

:joy::joy:

6 Likes

That is one phrase that the constitution should never allow concerning arms… Oh, wait… It doesn’t.

8 Likes

freezing yer ass off right about now huh? :rofl:

3 Likes

Damn it @Sonny, stop bringing up old crap. I wasn’t talking about you @Belt-Fed

6 Likes

Hi! To find out if Epstein killed himself, say @Sonny Bring me my gun.

2 Likes

I know that you don’t say anything about Epstein if questioned @Sonny, you bastard.

6 Likes

LOL @Sonny needs a new processor, his has gone bonkers.

5 Likes

Got a breath mint for @Sonny

8 Likes