Modern cartridge with black powder

@Chuparosa
Hay James I found that info for you!
https://www.buffaloarms.com/obsolete-hard-to-find-ammunition/black-powder-ammo?utm_source=Mid+May+Flyer&utm_campaign=firearms+flyer&utm_medium=email

2 Likes

Thanks! Iā€™ll take a peek.

1 Like

Might take a look at some 1860cap and ball pistols and the conversion cylinder
Options are nice
And on the regulation thing even a felon can have one delivered ,legal? Yes
However messed up that is

1 Like

Hodgdon 777 black powder substitute burns much cleaner than black powder.
Not much dirtier than smokeless.
But it is corrosive and the gun must be cleaned soon after use.
As for no hassle shipping of a BP gun to oneā€™s home, it depends on state law.
Sellers of BP guns usually have the info of which states allow it.
If you decide to do your own BP reloading, itā€™s easy and straight forward, as long as you remember to fill the cases plumb full with no air space under the bullet.
Thatā€™s the real difference between reloading smokeless and BP ammo and makes it more difficult
to adjust loads.

2 Likes

having that issue with .44 Russian and what is available

Interesting thread from 2 years ago. I wonder how he made out? Nothing I would do since BP cartridges were designed for BP. Some can be loaded with smokeless and that works, but there is so much room in a BP cartridge due to the much less efficient powder. Once smokeless gained traction the cartridges got much smaller because so much less powder was required for better performance.

I shoot BP and there is simply no way I would fire that corrosive stuff in my smokeless guns. A BP gun is designed for thorough cleaning. I cringe when I see some of the repeating guns from the BP era and what must have been extremely hard to clean innards.

But Iā€™d still like to know how he made out if he tried it.

3 Likes

I wouldnā€™t do it cause it will definitely jam your action. Black powder is dirty as hell bud

3 Likes