Mossberg 590

What is your go to shotgun? and is it able to cover not only self defense, but hunting tasks as well?
I think mine is the Mossberg 590.

What is your go to shotgun?

11 Likes

10 Likes

I like that buttstock! How many shells can fit in that buttstock?

10 Likes

Two on each side.

10 Likes

Nice! I like that idea of having back up ammo.

8 Likes

Mossberg 550 Tactical, Sits beside the night stand

9 Likes

I think it was called a speed feed by mossberg.

8 Likes

Thank you @Belt-Fed. I may just have to look one of those up.

8 Likes

9 Likes

Mossberg Maverick 88. I still have the original stock and barrel that came with it, but for hunting I prefer my Model 12 with its polychoke.

As for the 590, what a cool shotgun! I’d like to get the retrograde version with a bayonet!

I also wouldn’t mind having the original with slamfire capability!

10 Likes

870w/a 20" smooth bore slug barrel and extended mag tube. I also have a 26" barrel that takes choke tubes for hunting birds and rabbits. 590 shockwave in 20 ga w/a pistol brace is just so handy around the farm. Also have a 870 clone in 12 ga w/a top folding stock and ghost ring sights. Just picked up a Charles Daily 14" 12 ga that I added a pistol brace to. Model 12
20 gauge that sits in the safe most of the time. It’s to pretty to drag around. Also have a 20 ga double barrel imported by Stoger that was made in Brazil. It’s by the door for varmints.

9 Likes

Never did like the way the action on a Mossberg felt . I have several 870s from the 60s 70s and 80s that are just so much smoother to run for me . But to each thier own.

7 Likes

Feeding and defending my family since new.

10 Likes

I had a Turkish built Charles Daly ‘home defense’ 12 gauge I used for a few classes. My uncle, who didn’t want the hassle of flying with his guns, took a few nice deer on the family property with Foster slugs using it. It had the same manual of arms as an 870 and was dead reliable but because of the aluminum receiver and lightweight synthetic furniture it kicked pretty good.

Had a pre-64(1938 manufacture IIRC) Winchester model 12 Tournament grade I picked up for $140. It wasn’t in the greatest cosmetic shape for that price obviously, so I was planning to rebuild it as a trench gun. I was posting on a different forum looking for info/original trench gun parts and a member there made me too good an offer. Did take it to the skeet/trap range a few times. Hitting doubles ‘slam fire’ was fun.

I still have an 870 ‘Wingmaster’ and cantilever slug barrel sitting in the safe at my parents house(no room in my little safe). Mostly collects dust these days but I’ll hold onto it just in case.

9 Likes

:heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

6 Likes

The retrograde would be sweet! And who doesn’t love slam fire?!

9 Likes

While hes shooting a few swift stabs of that bayonet would have gotten you the lead haha

9 Likes

Lol, I didn’t even bring the bayonet… I could have won!!!

9 Likes

Ohhhh yeahhhhh! I like that very much @SAK. It seems to me that a lot of people underestimate the 20 gauge it one degree or another.
I can tell you this, I sure as heck don’t want to stand in front of one.

10 Likes

The 20 will get it done captain! 85% of the 12 gauges power + the 20 they pattern damn well!

10 Likes