Most Reliable and Accurate 1911 under $1,000 USD

Jtr: Thanks. I have heard a lot of good things about Springfield’s G I models.

The 45 has a thinner barrel. Doesn’t dissipate heat as well. Rail wear is fairly common. I also have a old 73 Browning high power from Brazil. I won’t live long enough to smoke a barrel on it but have had rails reworked 2 times.

1 Like

Gunsmoke:

So, basically you are saying that the gun manufacturers are really making the .45 acp barrels too thin? I have noticed how they tend to be a bit thinner than other calibers (except for .380 acp), but thought that was kind of okay since .45 acp (and .380 acp), are low pressure rounds. Still, .45 (Long) Colt is also a low pressure round, but the barrels for it tend to be thicker than .45 acp - not sure why that is.

Ok, so if I am going out looking for a gun that fires .45 acp, I really want to find one that has a thicker barrel. I know the S&W Governor has a thicker barrel, but that is a revolver. Also, the Ruger Convertible in .45 acp / .45 (Long) Colt, has a thicker barrel, but that (too) is a revolver. Do you know of any 1911’s in .45 acp with the thicker barrel?

And, how (what do they) do the gunsmiths (to) fix the rails?

Thanks.

I’m afraid that’s where my knowledge stops. That’s why I don’t attempt to work on the slides and send to a Smith. I’ve heard of titanium rail inserts and such but don’t really know advantages/disadvantages. I’m speaking purely from just my experience with Ruger.

Robert:

Ok, I am not into gunsmithing, but I did review the video that your link connects to.

Now, I see how they fix the rails.

Thanks.

Thanks for your feedback, Gunsmoke.

And, thanks to Robert, we both can see how they do it.

Now, if I can just find a thicker-barrelled .45 acp!

Thanks, Robert.

I was looking (quickly) thru a bunch of 1911’s earlier today and found one labelled ‘bull barrel’. I jumped for joy! Now to find it again (no worries, I saved the page). So, ok, that makes sense - no barrel bushing for bull barrels. So, I guess that means they take down different to other 1911’s?

Thanks for the video, Robert.

That is one strange gun! The front (the business end of the gun), looks so open!

But, the takedown was a snap.

Reminded me of something I have heard several times at my local gun store: the stainless steel used on/in Springfields are more notorious for rusting than most other (name brand) guns. Here is an example of that problem (with a Springfield).

If Springfield is still making them as good as my 25 year old .45 MilSpec, it would be hard to beat.
Forged frame and slide, very accurate, all original parts yet, not a single part replaced other than an occasional recoil spring.
And priced at the lower end of 1911s.
Lost count of the umpteen thousand rounds that’s been through it, as it has been my primary match pistol all these years.
What’s not to like.
Hope this helps.

2 Likes

g.willikers:

Yes, but, is your Springfield blued, stainless, or…?

The two I own are both pasteurized seems to be a good finish.

1 Like

Parkerized ! I hate this tablet .

5 Likes

Reminded me of a joke. In the joke thread now.

2 Likes

Jtr:

Thanks! That is what I suspected (ie - not stainless steel).

Although, I really prefer stainless steel guns, if I find that the otherwise perfect (for me) 1911 is blue or parkerized, then I will still go for it.

Holy crap… This is why i don’t like 1911s. I have had 3. Two cheap ones and a Colt Series 80 Gold Cup. I ultimately traded the Colt for my Glock that i carry now. Unfortunately, my daughter has fallen in love with the 1911s and wont even touch a Glock. So, I’m right here with John. I’m looking for the same thing. Now I just need to reread this thread 12 more times…:exploding_head:

2 Likes

I hope you got three or four glocks for that colt!

58marine, et al:

So, is that a common thinking - 1911’s are best used for things other than EDC? So, you wouldn’t trust your 1911’s for personal defense?

What about the baby 1911’s like Sig P238?

Thanks.

Depends on the weather in the summer I carry my Kahr cw45 in the winter it might be a1911 .

1 Like

I speak for only myself here (I don’t want to restart the discussion) but I love and have complete faith in my Kimber Ultra Raptor 1911 as my EDC. No issues carrying IWB (most often) and OWB if I know I’ll be wearing the proper clothing.

3 Likes

Thanks for your feedback, mquinn55.

Good to know.