Most Reliable and Accurate 1911 under $1,000 USD

Robert:

I would love to. Don’t know when I will get the opportunity, though.

Robert:

Thanks for the pictures and followup.

Yeah, I get it about the paper clip, now. I won’t be buying that gun!

I’m old enough to take that as an insult. Hahaha

You’re probably dead on. I was raised on long guns. I am definitely guilty of not holding pistols tight enough. might explain why my daughter does so well… since she is small, I taught her to hold on tight. It would seem the 1911 is more sensitive to how you hold/shoot it.

1 Like

All:

Okay, so I miss my Para Ordnance Gun Rights 1911, but also my Colt Government 1911. I guess, I am trying to more or less replace one of them.

Thanks everyone for your input. I have narrowed it down a bit.

I am heavily leaning towards a Colt. Buds Online has a couple listed that are serious contenders (each of them are under $1,000 and well rated):

Colt Competition 1911 Series 70 Government Model

Colt 1991 Series O1091 (Series 80, I believe)

So, Series 70 or Series 80?
Seems from what I have read, Series 70 = better trigger; Series 80 = safer (and other features?)

Thoughts?

Robert:

I have held a Coonan .357 mag 1911. It seemed pretty solid and great caliber.

Not sure I want to go outside the box, though. Kind of the point to get something iconic.

Robert:

Ok, sounds like Colt’s support is questionable. Sorry to hear that.

I guess it is fair to say that Colt today is not the Colt of 30+ years ago (which is when I had the Colt Government). But, isn’t Colt making a comeback now? They have put out some really nice snubbies lately.

Robert:

Wow! Bad luck for Colt - but they are trying to make a comeback. So, something like Charter Arms, they have a mixed bag of (some) good products and bad finances.

You think they aren’t to be trusted?

I have (knock on wood), never had to send a gun back to the manufacturer for anything. But, I sure would like to know they will be there years from now if I ever want parts, newer models, etc.

I don’t know enough about Coonan to say much, but there are other brands that are still solid and well known.

I think Para Ordnance was taken over by some other firm. So, not sure about them. Any other suggestions?

Wow! Now you have my attention. That would be nice in .357.

My vote is for the Colt Competition. I have one in stainless and in .45 and love it. It feeds and shoots everything. It’s the first and only 1911 I’ve owned, so I have no other 1911 to compare it with, but it’s by far my favorite handgun to shoot.

2 Likes

Equin:

So, no worries about the company (Colt) ?

Robert:

When it comes to recoil, I am fine with revolvers all the way up to .460 S&W. But, for semiautos, I get kind of picky about it and don’t like a lot of recoil. So, thanks for thinking of me on the recoil issue for semiauto, it would matter to me.

I think one of the reasons I shot my Para Ordnance so well was that it weighed 41 ounces (best I recall), which for a .45 acp in 1911 format, that is on the heavy side. It did not recoil too much, and it had a match grade barrel (5 inches), so I shot it very well.

That is one of the most important things I am looking for in a 1911 - high degree of accuracy (for me in shooting it). And actually, I would prefer a 6 inch barrel. Springfield has a 6 inch barrel in one of theirs. There are a couple of other gun makers that have 6 inch barrel 1911’s, too. I still like the Colts, but I don’t think they have any 6 inch barrel 1911s.

Robert:

Thanks for all the info on the Coonan. But, I am really more interested in mainstream gun makers and to start, .45 acp. Will be looking at/for .40 S&W and 9 mm, too.

What about the S&W 1911 Series E? Price is right. Looks okay. Seems to be rated okay. Any downsides?

Thanks, Robert.

Yeah, I know about that wifey rule (I buy something for me, she gets something for her, typically costing even more). So, I have to be careful with my gun purchases, too. But, unlike you, I am not allowed (actually, she isn’t either), to run up a bill that we can’t/won’t pay off at the end of the credit card month. So, that keeps the purchase down even more.

Frankly, I have had guns costing over $1,000 USD, and most of them have been a big disappointment for me. So, except for a very few guns, I don’t even bother with handguns, rifles, or shotguns, costing over $1,000.

1 Like

Nice picture, SAK67.

Is the 1911 a Rock Island Armory?

@JohnB,
Yes it is, Rock Island Armory 40 Smith & Wesson FS Ultra.

Robert:

There’s the big difference between you and me: I have never modified or built any guns (other than changing grips on guns I bought). This is why I (have to?) stick with name brand, reliable guns, and you don’t.

1 Like

SAK67:

I wouldn’t sweat it. For when you run out of comments and have not made it to the 20 character minimum, just add dots…

1 Like

Robert:

I agree - looking for similarities is more positive, but it is clear we do have the big difference, but that is ok.

Great that you can build your own. I am happy with factory built guns. I don’t even want custom guns. And, the less my guns need changing or fixing, the better. Same for the ammo I buy. I don’t buy reloads and I don’t do reloading. I am fine with other people doing that, just I don’t want to.

Just some personal quirks that aren’t going to change.

Robert:

I have and like the Glock G21 in Gen3 and Gen4. Not sure I need a Gen5.

Would also like a stainless steel .45 acp, which generally means a 1911 (I know, there are exceptions). For .40 S&W, I have the S&W M&P 1.0 and 2.0. For 9 mm, I have the S&W M&P 1.0, as well as Walther Creed and PPS M2. So, I am looking for stainless steel versions in .40 S&W and 9 mm, too.

I am full up on poly’s. Just need some stainless steel for my semiautos.

What about Smith & Wesson and Ruger, 1911’s?