Most Reliable and Accurate 1911 under $1,000 USD

jf89:

Are you saying the Smith & Wessons and the Rugers have parts breaking and feed issues, or are you referring to the Coonans?

jf89:

So, which guns have the parts breaking and feed issues?

1 Like

jf89:

Ok, so S&W 1911ā€™s are at least ok, if not pretty good - right?

The main problem I have with the Coltā€™s is that they are a little light - 35 to 36 ounces, when other 1911ā€™s (with 5 inch barrels) are 38 to 40 ounces (typically). Not sure what Colt is doing to make their guns lighter, but the few ounces less will make recoil a little worse - something I am not too thrilled about (especially for semiautos).

1 Like

jf89:

Sounds like the E series for S&W may be a winner, then.

1 Like

You might look at the Remington 1911 price is right

Ha! Iā€™m too much of a newbie to the shooting sports to have heard about any customer service issues with Colt. The little I know is that the Colt name has been used in the American manufacture of firearms for a long time and has provided lots of quality firearms to our military for decades. I havenā€™t had an opportunity to experience a companyā€™s customer service with the puny collection Iā€™ve started out with so far. And I guess because of my lack of experience, I never really thought about that as a factor to consider til now.

But as far as Colt quality goes, I did some online research in new 1911s before I decided to buy my first one, and spoke to friends whoā€™ve been shooting for a long time and with folks at the LGS. The two brands most folks recommended to me for a sub $1000 1911 were Colt and Springfield Armory. One of the LGS near me had a great deal on a stainless Colt Competition that I couldnā€™t pass up, so I jumped on it. Mind you, I didnā€™t and still donā€™t know all the different 1911/1991 configurations Colt sells. I just wanted a 5ā€ barreled 1911 in .45, blued or stainless. Although I had heard of the ā€œCompetitionā€ model, I didnā€™t know at the time what was so different about it compared to Coltā€™s 1991 except for the sights and grip. Since then, Iā€™ve obviously learned more.

Another thing I learned is that getting my first one now leads me to wanting another! A blued one, maybe more of a USGI type model. But Iā€™m real pleased with my Colt Competition and enjoy shooting it more than the handful of other handguns Iā€™ve owned and shot these past few years.

1 Like

One other thing. Check out 1911forum.com. Lots of good info there, too.

Lastly, check out this video from Paul Harrell rebutting someone elseā€™s claim that 1911s suck. He shoots a variety of different ones to refute that claim, but they all had one thing in common. They were all made by Colt:

1 Like

Equin:

Great video. Thank you!

I havenā€™t fully decided yet, but right now, S&W and Colt are high on the list. Springfield, maybe.

I do really like Colt 1911ā€™s, even had one many years ago (yeah, ok, should have kept it). I think one of these Colts might just do:

Colt O1070XSE XSE Series 8+1 45ACP 5"

Rail Gun SS (45ACP)
UPC: 098289042088
Model: XSE Government
SKU: O1070RG

So, the saga continuesā€¦

1 Like

The rail gun is the one that was issued to special forces up untail a few years ago. I think its an 80 series too, not sure if thats an issue for you.

1 Like

jf89:

No, not an issue.

So, the rail gun is/should be strong and durable - right?

Heres a review
https://www.tactical-life.com/firearms/colt-rail-gun-45-acp/

2 Likes

jf89:

Thanks for the articles on Colt Rail Guns.

From the comments on the second link, I can see Springfield wonā€™t be on my finalists list.

So, Colt Rail Gun, or Colt XSE - maybe. Still not sure what to think of the S&W Series E. Any other strong suggestions?

These links are both interesting. Being in Ca I, until recently, only focused on guns on the Roster. Ones I can actually buy. So I wasnā€™t even aware of this Colt ā€œRail Gun.ā€ Based on the review I see it has many of the same features as my Kimbers. ( not sidetracking here, we needā€™nt start the kimber discussion again )
The addition of the rail is interesting. I like what I see. Then the article about the failures. Pretty shocking. You mention that they supposedly fixed this. Do you know that to be true? I havenā€™t looked deeper yet but hope thatā€™s true.
Iā€™ve not seen failures like this on my Kimbers but I also havenā€™t put 12k rounds through them. Maybe 4K through the Ultra Raptor as itā€™s my EDC and I shoot it most.
The comment section on the failure article is entertaining. As Iā€™ve said before, no gun is as polarizing as a 1911.
@JohnB. I donā€™t mean to confuse the issue of your decision. You seem to have things narrowed down. Hope you make your choice soon and looking forward to your review after you get it.

1 Like

mquinn55:

Actually, you are helping. I sometimes forget about Kimbers, but donā€™t mean too.

If I recall correctly, they have a 6" barrel 1911 which is something I have been wanting for years. And, it is stainless steel. Definitely want that, too. So, I really should keep the Kimbers in mind, too, as I havenā€™t ruled them out.

A couple of years ago, I took a long and hard look at Glocks versus Springfields versus Walthers. Walthers (in my reviews), won out big time. (This was the G26 or G43 versus XDs versus PPS M2. I bought the PPS M2 and am very glad I did.) Now, trying to get it down in similar fashion for the 1911ā€™s. I may end up just getting one in one caliber (may have to due to cost and time).

Will let you (all) know when I finally get it figured out and make the purchase.

Thanks.

jf89:

Thanks for the great article. So, the Colt Rail Gun is tough enough!

Now, if I could get such good documentation on the other candidates!

Hmmmā€¦ thanks for those. (I think). Seems to have given me a case of GAS. (Gun Acquisition Syndrome)

2 Likes

mquinn55:

Geez. I have had a bad case of GAS for a while, now. Now, whereā€™s my pills to reduce the gas?

Funny! Thanks!

1 Like

Thats a serious condition, the only treatment is to buy 2 more guns.

3 Likes

To me Colt seems more like a workhorse brand. Their fit and finish isnt up to par with similar priced 1911s and the trigger is only ok but nothing special, my les bear was like a ferrari compared to my Colt lol. The Colt is super reliable though.

jf89:

Thanks for the article on Colt 1911ā€™s.

Helpful, but would have been better if they only picked ones that had not been laying around for years, or at least cleaned them up, first. I have heard of problems with (especially semiautos) guns that have their old lubrication crystalize, so no shocker there. Nine out of ten not so impressive to me. But again, looking at what they did to test them, I would have expected some problems.