Motorcycles - all

Back, (make that way back) when I was a kid living in Los Angeles, the freeways turned into race tracks in the wee hours.
All kinds of fast stuff screaming down the road.
So many that the police rarely even tried to intervene.
They knew it was hopeless.
Speed was determined by using the distance between light poles.
The good old days,
But it was long before seat belts, air bags and cars designed to have crush zones.
Different mentality, death on the highway was an accepted hazard.

2 Likes

Just let this one go. Sad but my reflexes couldn’t match her speed no more. Broke many a muscle car owners heart. All the euro trash too. :sunglasses:
busa%203

5 Likes

Great thread!
I’ve had 3 sport bikes. crashed two of them. The first one was an old 700 VFR Interceptor. I did sprockets and clutches. That was a fun bike… until a girl i was dating smashed it into a curb.
The second was a FZR 1000. I bought it used. Whoever had it before me did a crapload of performance mods. That was the fastest bike i ever rode. Also the only one i didn’t crash. I don’t know how fast i went on it. I took it out one Sunday morning and aired it out. When i shut it down, after running out of road, i glanced down at the speedo and had slowed down to 165. When i sold it, a guy that test drove it informed me it would do 185… and thats how fast he was going when he passed that cop :exploding_head:
My last bike was an older CBR 1000. Back when they were more of a touring bike. I did a bunch of work to that one. Shortened, lowered, brakes, clutches, carb kits, light weight everything. It was a fun build and also fun to ride. I low sided it in a turn going too fast on a road i didn’t know. I remember sliding face down for what seemed like forever, listening to the carbon fiber on my gloves grinding on the pavement. Unfortunately, there wasn’t any on the finger tips. Shaved the fingernails completely off of the last three fingers on my left hand. the last two were down to the bone. Haven’t had a bike since then.

4 Likes

Thanks for the stories.
It’s amazing there aren’t more casualties considering the speed of modern bikes.
It doesn’t seem all that long ago when a hundred mph bike was considered king of the road.

2 Likes

Now even mopeds do 150mph rather easily.

2 Likes

That Z 1 is beautiful!
$20 k + bike now.

3 Likes

Not 20k but I picked this up cheap and found out
they have a cult following, made a few bucks

who knew :upside_down_face:

7 Likes

My father-in-law has the same bike. It’s just sitting in his garage nowadays. He really seems to love the bike.

2 Likes

Fl bike yes, the guy I got it from did an Iron butt ride on it :motorcycle:

5 Likes

One of our customers has this in his garage

7 Likes

Nice piece of history!

4 Likes

From an era when cars &bikes still had beauty & character! Now, everything looks the same.

5 Likes

Hi folks ! Having introduced myself already as an old geezer, I’d be pleased to share my last ride. Sold it when I realized my reflexes just weren’t up to snuff !

9 Likes

Very nice, to bad on the sale, :pensive:

I had a 72 Tiger chopped and sometimes wish I hadn’t sold it, they are sure unique :+1:

3 Likes

beautiful bike, radagast.

sorry you had to sell it.

4 Likes

Aw, did ya’ actually have to sell that beauty.
You coulda’ kept it just to look at.
I’m thinking in the living room.
During my formative early years, a Triumph, BSA, or Norton was the stuff of dreams.
One riding pal had a TR Tiger cub, his older brother had a TR 750, can’t remember the model.
I had a Zundapp 200 single.

My wife had a Whizzer.
One of the local landscapers still has one and often rides it still.

4 Likes

Nice bikes!

So a forum that features, guns and bikes? Why didn’t I join a long time ago? :wink:

I fell in love with the Evo engine when it first came out and haven’t quite got over it yet. This '93 has been restored from the ground up and I’d ride it anywhere.

13047651_1011930525557896_7431467194051004465_o%20(1)

9 Likes

Beautiful!!!

My first Harley was an 84 EVO FLHTCU,

geezer gliders rule!

3 Likes

The trouble with geezers and their bikes in not being able to pick them up when they fall off the kickstand.
That was the main reason I sold my MotoGuzzi 850.
It’s so danged embarrassing to have to ask passersbys to help pick it up off the ground.

5 Likes

I bet, that engine installed sideways did nothing to help :see_no_evil:

4 Likes