Moving up to the big leagues.

As my manufacturing business has grown, rather slowly up until late. I’ve been upgrading my machinery. Last year I picked up a Grizzly combo lathe/mill. While this seemed like a good idea, it really wasn’t. The lathe is not too bad for small jobs, the mill is a joke. It’s way under powered and there’s no work table, so what good is it?

Moving forward. I picked up a nice little CNC from Ebay. Again, a bit small but did the job of sterilizing frames. Albeit slow, it did nice work.

Not having a mill worth a darn I decided to change that, so a month ago I started looking for a decent one. Let me tell you, that was not hard. In about a week’s time, I ordered five mills. All of them came back saying back-ordered, but you can wait until the end of July or as late as the end of September. I finally found this one on Ebay from Granger. I was very clear when I placed the order, I would need a lift gate because I do not have access to a forklift. The truck pulled up and I walked out to meet the driver. Ya, we have a problem here. The back of your truck is missing something. Ya, no lift gate.

Well, it turns out the CNC I have decided to start acting up and didn’t want to work anymore. Great, I need a CNC, and by need, I mean I NEED a CNC. Today I did a wire transfer for this beast. A Bridgeport ProtoTrak two-axis CNC. It should arrive in about a week. In the meantime, I need to open up space for not one, but two mills, and get some electric run.

IMG952278

I was hoping to not be taking delivery of such large machines before we move in about six months, but I’m not left with any options. Besides, it was hard to pass up this Bridgport.

14 Likes

That’s some fast growth. Congratulations!

11 Likes

Although the growing pains are a PITA, it’s. great to see the hard work paying off. I really like seeing the little guy win once in a while. Someday, if I hit the lottery I would love to have you build me a set of 1911s.

10 Likes

Awesome to see you getting your turn at bat!

Hope you’re not still working in your basement with all that equipment :thinking:

9 Likes

Not this new stuff. That’s all out in the garage. I can’t wait to get into our new shop, but that’s still months away. If we find a new house that lacks the shop space, we will be building something in the 4k-5k square foot range.

10 Likes

Yes, they sure are. We’ve been doing pretty good by not having to finance anything. Paying cash keeps more money in our pocket and nothing going to the bank. Well, almost nothing. Had to pay $30 for the wire transfer, but that’s not too bad.

11 Likes

Congratulations buddy

10 Likes

Good for you bud, before you know it you are going to be so big time, I’ll have to get on a 2-year waiting list just to order from you.

10 Likes

That’s awesome, Dan! Good to see all your hard work paying off. Tweren’t that long ago we saw you off to gun smith school. Now look at you go!

9 Likes

Today mill number one came in. I’ll need to run to Menards tomorrow to pick up a plug and outlet to get it wired in. Today I picked up 50 feet of 14/3 wire. Talk about sticker shock, $66 for just the wire.

Today I finalized the Kevin Sorbo design. The slide will be coated in PVD, oil rubbed bronze with matching grip screws with a different color stone.

10 Likes

I got a mill on the way nothing like what you got going on.

7 Likes

Ever think of moving all that gear to Maine? We have lots of rezs

7 Likes

The excitement is proportional to the size of the unit.

6 Likes

It’s a grower not a shower. :grin:

6 Likes