Mower Frankenstein

So my craftsman push mower betrayed me once again and won’t start. This is after 10 years of service roughly so it’s probably time.

The deck isn’t bad but I also have a troybuilt freebie that the deck is bad. So the two shall become one I suppose. Had to fight the old mount bolts out, now have to see about the blade height and safety shutoff cable. I had the troybuilt engine running for 20 min bf I started and looked over the bolt pattern, it lines up ftmp

8 Likes

Kinda wish I had a cutting tool, the bolts were stubborn, tried some with Sawzall but that didn’t work too much

Trying to save buying a new push mower I suppose, well see how this goes

7 Likes

Have you tried a plumbing torch?

6 Likes

When I combined one motor with a different deck the bolts came out really hard because they were more triangle than round and I think they were designed to cut in so they couldn’t come back out easy.

6 Likes

I had two mowers. Ford 640 with 6’ deck and mini-me 14Hp repainted Agway (MTD).

But poor mini-me’s deck fell apart. So I now do the yard work with a Husqvarna 24Hp, 48" three-blade HD deck YTH24K48 “fast” lawn tracrtor. So far so good. The 1956 Ford 640 still troopers on. Great iron.

8 Likes

Don’t know about the model number, but if it’s a zero turn I’ve been using one for almost 15 years. The things a beast, and Fast! I also use it as a light duty bush hog.

8 Likes

Considered a rider?

8 Likes

Wow nice

I have a simplicity riding mower, slow as a turtle, the bunny icon fell off years ago. 12hp ain’t enough for this fat derrier lol. But it works for now.

4 Likes

Ain’t got no plumbing torch, got a map gas deal and that heated it up some yellow tank type

Sounds similar when I just looked up plumbing torch. Plumbing I think they use propane

Pics soon on what I ended up doing

5 Likes

Someday… Someday… Lol

5 Likes

6 Likes

Finished product, just mowed for 30-45 with it woooooooooooo

5 Likes

One of the old motor chassis parts, bolt still stuck in it, only got it a quarter turn roughly and then the deck had a gash from the Sawzall and that chunk broke off

3 Likes

Safety cut off bar linkage worked Where’s my easy button lol

3 Likes

I put 5w30 in it for now but probably will change it soon, didn’t have 10w30

3 Likes

4 Likes

Only fix I may make are more or better washers to raise the blade some higher off the deck, also the pull chord deal seems to be making a grinding noise to the flywheel, may be easy to find and replace, 3 non rusted nuts heh

3 Likes

Also need to teach the almost 11 year old to do the trimming with it, what the rider cant

4 Likes