Multical

A very great advantage of sixguns, if chosen in a specific chambering, is the ability to simply and easily fire multiple calibers. The most ubiquitous example perhaps being the 38 Special in 357 Magnum guns, however one also can choose 44 Special in the 44 Magnum, and the 45 Colt in the 454 Casull, etc. The list goes on.
Single Actions are designed in such a way that the cylinder is quickly removed for cleaning. Ruger and Colt both have a history of cutting cylinders in 45 ACP for their 45 Colt revolvers.
Certainly, calibers can be swapped in semi autos, yet such inevitably require more parts, with more stuff to store, and in my experience can come with reliability issues.
The sixgun is tops where multical is the interest, both in terms of simplicity, and in terms of ease of use.

10 Likes

4-5/8" Ruger 45 Colt/ ACP
45colt.8x72

8 Likes

And now some nicer examples:
Gary Reeder’s Custom 357 Mag/ 356 GNR. 41 Mag necked down to .357

North American Arms 22LR/ 22Mag

Texas Longhorn 44 Mag, Special, 44-40

I have some more somewhere, maybe one of a 327 Federal/ 32-20?

10 Likes

Thanx Al, those are some impressive examples of multical sixguns. I forgot clear about T.L. arms, and for that matter USFA, who at one point could quite possibly claim the title of finest production sixguns. Believe USFA had a deal for a while on having a second cylinder fitted, and of course Freedom Arms, but FA really is more of a custom manufacturer, than a production company.
For those of us on more pedestrian budgets, Ruger has done us a world of service.

5 Likes

they are purdy - I’ve thought about getting a ‘cowboy’ revolver some day - used to play with the cap ones as a boy and had horses

2 Likes

Here is a cap gun inspired ‘cowboy’ revolver by Nutmeg sports

3 Likes

my brothers and I must have wore out the VHS we recorded it on but the show in the 80s ‘Outlaws’ there’s a scene where they are transported to the future and need their revolvers/pistols - the guy brings some awesome guns. They shoot the heck out of some watermellons when they couldn’t hit anything with AK/ARs… good stuff

This is the show with Charles Napier - I found the spot in it - good scene

about 1:15:00 in the pilot

3 Likes

Oh boy, now you’re feeding into those @sixguns.com guys :facepalm:

2 Likes

didn’t say I own one… yet lol

3 Likes

One other thing that separates six shooters from their autoloading cousins, they don’t care what the bullet shape is, they’ll shoot it. Powder charge just has to be somewhere between getting the lead to fall out the end of the barrel and blowing the cylinder and topstrap to pieces and they function properly just about every time.

3 Likes

For those who craft their own ammunition, the sixgun is indeed the best of all platforms, better even, than the leveraging, which is very, good indeed.

2 Likes

LEVERGUN

3 Likes

Idiotic editor couldn’t recognize the word levergun, and had to change it. Living in unamurican tymes.

3 Likes