Muzzle Break for Long Distance Shooting

What muzzle break if any would you recommend for long distances with a standard bolt action Savage 308? (400 yds is long for me right now)

8 Likes

Surefire, YHM, a lot of good stuff out there.

9 Likes

Thank you, I’ll check it out.

9 Likes

Mossberg is fitting SilencerCo Saker Trifecta muzzlebrakes onto their “new” Nighttrain 2 308s

7 Likes

They are extremely spendy, but these are top notch:

Precision Armament - AR .308 M11 MUZZLE BRAKE 30 CALIBER

https://www.brownells.com/aspx/search/productdetail.aspx?sid=105321&pid=54370

The Smith I had thread the barrel on my long distance gun refused to use the Accu-washer system I bought with the brake. Instead he milled the back of the brake down until the timing was perfect when the brake bottomed out on the thread shoulder. He did an unbelievable job and the brake performs flawlessly.

7 Likes

The obligatory “pics or it didn’t happen” photos…

:smiley:

10 Likes

:+1:

9 Likes

So many ways to spend money. Lol

9 Likes

Went with the Supercomp-XL308 Brake (Titanium) for my 308 Savage barrel. Not installed yet. That rifle is still wearing a 6.5C with the stock brake.

First I got the Steel Version and put it on my 308Win Vepr. That thing is a pussycat to shoot. So I got one for the Savage but in Titanium. Admittedly the Vepr has a recoil reducing stock and an adjustable gas system thats so well tuned that my brass doesn’t even get an AK ding. However I still attribute a good portion of the gentleness to the XL’s design.

It has has three mixing chambers and 14 axial ports. No rearward facing gills so shooter blast and side concussion is moderate. Sound is actually less than the stock flash hider it came with. Definitely it’s faster back on target for follow up shots. We bought 2 of them, but I only Americanised the one, so you can shoot them side by side. Probably need to do a video…

7 Likes