My Favorite AR-15s

Got no use for 5.56, or anything else varmint size.
If I want to kill a person, Im not going to make them suffer, thats just plain liberal.
I think Ill coin a new phrase: I bullet, one kill.

Anyone wonder why our M1 Garands are 8 shot?
They were originally .257 Roberts. DOD deemed it not worthy of coma too small a caliber. Beside they had a billion left over 30-06 rounds from WWI.

If I had to weenie down to another caliber for an AR15. I would have chose either 300HAMR or 25-45 Sharps.
Both superior to 5.56

5 Likes

All depends what the job is what my “favorites” would be. I can go in the other direction and tell you what my least favorite would be… the detested M16A1 I was issued in '70. I absolutely hated it and I’m not at all certain why. The triangular handguards didn’t help, and I thought the plastic furniture was flimsy. I see the retro models sold today and I can’t fathom the attraction.

But as a GI frankly I couldn’t have cared if the person I shot died instantly or a painful lingering death from the mousegun as long as they stopped trying to kill me. Thankfully I never had to put it to the test.

But the question is ARs. One thing the hated M16A1 had was lightweight and I appreciated that. So not long ago I finished a build that stressed lightweight. It’s 5# 9oz weight (if memory serves) makes it one of my favorites. It’s also working on “short” which I find extremely attractive lately.

Not as lightweight but shorter would be my latest AR handgun build. Here it is in 300BLK. But I haven’t used it enough to determine favorite status. If I ever SBR it it would probably enter that status immediately. Part of the weight is either a full time can or linear comp that MUST be in place to prevent the fore-end from self destructing.

I have others but those would be the closest to the word favorite that I would use for any of them. There are other black firearms, just not ARs, that could be placed in the category of favorite and they’re all bullpups, SBRs, or arm braced handguns. I did mention I liked short lately, right? Short and light is even better. Other than the pictured AR above, which took me at least 20 years to complete, the fore-end I wanted just didn’t exist until a few years ago, everything I’ve either built or modified has been one of those mentioned types and I’ve been selling off the long guns.

9 Likes