My Favorite Revolvers... What's Yours?

Older Smith & Wesson K-Frames are my favorite. By older, I mean 1980’s and earlier.

10 Likes

My Colt Lawman MK III is really sweet. Very smooth and a GREAT trigger. I sometimes can’t understand how I can hit the target with such a short barrel. I love shooting my Taurus Tracker. Best accuracy of the bunch. Then there is the Cold Old Army and Navy 38 DA. Not a shooter yet, but my son is working on getting a few parts and getting it in shooting condition.

10 Likes

Revolvers> semi automatic pistols… Get off my lawn guns just have way more style.

11 Likes

i have enough love in my heart for all that goes bang, but, yeah, agreed, they go bang with style

11 Likes

After shooting my dan weason side by side with my police service six.

Dan Wesson all the way. Dam it is a n iui ce revolver. Super soft shooting full house 125 and 158 grain 357 mag loads. Super accurate .

Glad I picked it up. I have 2 and 6 inch barrels. Looking for a 4 inch barrel and shroud

12 Likes

Just picked up this nice, old, mid-eighties
Taurus model 66 .357
Stainless pre-lock, pre-mim, S&W K Frame copy. For those who are unaware, S&W actually owned controlling interest in Taurus from 71-77. They shared a lot of design info with one another, and this is one of the Smith inspired (cloned) revolvers.

Completely stripped-it put it in my ultrasonic cleaner, deburred it, smoothed, respringed and tuned it. Bought a brand new Hogue grip to replace the ancient Pachmayr’s. Now I just have to get it out and shoot it.
Made up some handloads to give it a go.
I’ll report back when I actually shoot this beauty.

13 Likes

nice, i have a few of the old model Taurus revolvers, never had an issue old or new with Taurus stuff

10 Likes

I’m a bit of a Taurus fan myself. Yes they’ve had issues, but overall their stuff is a great deal for the bucks, and I personally have never had an issue with any Taurus I’ve owned…which is more than I can say about a number of other “better” firearms manufacturers I’ve had to deal with over the years.

10 Likes

While we are talking about Taurus revolvers, does anyone know which models have the bad reputations and which ones have the good or best reputations, for reliability?

Thanks.

P.S. - My favorite Taurus revolver is the Raging Judge (.454 Casull / .410). Either barrel length (3 inch or 6.5 inch), would be equally desirable to me.

11 Likes

i would have to go through all mine to know the models because i cannot remember them all of the top of my head but i own 8 or 10 and have never had an issue with any of them, some are from the 80s, some from the 90s and some current, say 2000+. i even have a protector poly which people seem to like to dis, actually wife does too, it is still in my carry rotation and has been a great little revolver, it is the 38 though not the 357. i also know i have a few of the tracker models.

9 Likes

Best reputation for reliability is going to be those 1980’s revolvers. That was the golden era of Taurus revolvers. The very early ones were hit and miss from my understanding, and anything pre-80’s is no longer covered by Taurus for warranty. So you’re looking for anything that says Taurus USA on it.
After the 80’s they began the internal locking system which is better than S&W’s locking system for reliability (but still undesirable for some people)…and began MIM parts around that same era. Anything after Taurus came into the US will be supported by Taurus, so just research any model you are particularly interested in (just like any other manufacturer these days) to make sure there are no known serious issues and you should be good to go.

9 Likes

When I was in the gunshop for a day job the ones we sent back for repair most were the Judges. They may be better now but that small 5 shot frame stretched out for that big cylinder just didn’t hold up.

9 Likes

i have never been a fan of the Judge or Governor stuff… .just me, they do have a following.

10 Likes

My old 5 screw .38 special. Model 10.

11 Likes

model 10s are absolutely beasts!

10 Likes

It’s kind of funny what the Judge and Governor did to demand for 410 Bore ammo. Before they came out it was mostly the garden gun crowd who wanted 410. Now it’s increasingly becoming “glove box mini-arsenal” ammo.

10 Likes

Yo Chris,
I love revolver questions. I have own 3 in my entire life. The first one was the coolest, the second was the best shooter, and the third, the Mrs owns now.

The first one I bought when I was 21.

The Model 29A Smith & Wesson. It was the 70s, you had to find one. I was in the Army, and found one in on post.
A real wrest snapper. I never reloaded for it. The factory stuff was nasty enough.

Ruger Blackhawk, 1969 3 screw.
The fastest to unload, and the slowest to load. I made rounds to make it into a wrest snapper, but only snuck them in to the gun when someone else was shooting it. :open_mouth:

Lastly

Ruger Security Six in 357 mag.
Formally owned by an INS agent.
Now owned by legal alien wife. I hope you see the irony in that.

All three are my Fav. The 44 was a blast, the 3 screw is fast, the Six is small and light.
They are all my favorites, but we only own the Six now.
Folks offered me stupid money for the other two, and I was stupid to take the money.
Only sad part is the P220 was loaded for a decade and now its in the safe. No more mag loading and unloading.
The cylinder just sits there full.

12 Likes