My first 80% 1911

That is not the final front sight. I need to test fire it and file to figure out how tall of a site I need.

Lots of fun fitting everything. I’ve got at least three more builds I really want to do, and 4 or 5 others that I’m pondering lol.

I want to do all hand fitting on my builds going forward, so first is to buy some more tools for barrel fitting.

11 Likes

Nice! I bet it takes some patience and a good set if tools too.

4 Likes

Patience, files, and sandpaper were very important lol

7 Likes

Can it be done with only hand tools or would that be setting myself up for failure?

5 Likes

With what I bought, I used the Phantom jig from Stealth Arms, and all the rest of the fitting was done with files and sand paper for the most part. There are a few holes to drill. Of course a bench press is best, but if you are super careful and use the jig, it could be done with a hand drill.

A good, solid bench vise is needed for the slide to frame fitting. You can probably get it closer than I did with files, but I got it close, and then lapped it with lapping compound and a rubber mallet.

I think the only other tools a used were a counter sink for the hammer and sear pins (but it being an aluminum frame, I was just able to do this by hand), screwdrivers for the assorted screws (grip screws, grip screw bushings, and mag catch lock) and an assortment of punches needed for assembly.

8 Likes

If you buy a full kit from Stealth Arms, there will be a little less fitting of each piece I bet. I had to blend the back of the slide with the extractor and the ejector, but that’s probably because I was using WC components.

6 Likes

Awesome work, both the pistol and charting, can you summarize your tool expense for people?

5 Likes

I am in the processes of finishing my Build No. 1 (range testing) using just hand tools. The key is to buy parts that don’t require anything else.

There is good help on the forums and lot’s of home builders. Just ask about parts you are considering.

6 Likes

Thank you very much! I will definitely try it at some point but I may wait until I get at least a little bit more dedicated work space.

5 Likes

I will do that, maybe sooner with the right parts.

4 Likes

Outside of the countersink and the Stealth Arms jig, I really didn’t have to buy anything else. My dad was a gunsmith in his younger days, so I had access to all his tools and supplies. Admittedly, I’m only talking drill press, big rubber mallet, lapping compounds, and sandpaper. I already had bastard and needle files and everything else.

The bastard files were from Harbor Freight, and that I can recall, only used on blending of the back of the slide.

Needle files were used throughout for fine fitting. They can be had at most hardware stores.

Countersinks can be found on Amazon, or you can just use a drill bit depending on the angle on the tip of them.

I do have the items that I need to buy itemized.

7 Likes

If anyone would like a copy of my spreadsheets, just let me know. All of the blue text are actually links to the part that I am mentioning. Just let me know.

I will say that my pricing at Brownells will vary from you. I get the dealer discount because of my dad.

8 Likes

Very organized and a great first build!!!
If you are planning on going with steel frames for your future builds I would highly recommend the Matrix Precision jig.

8 Likes

@Mosinvirus It’s on my list too.

The two builds I have my mind set on is a full length railed dustcover 1911 in 9mm or .45 and a 2011 in 9mm .

Also thinking about a bobtailed commander in .45, and maybe an officer frame with commander slide.

I’m sure I’ll do a long slide at some point as well.

6 Likes

All sound like great future builds.
Good luck and keep us posted please.

5 Likes

Good job!

6 Likes

But of course.

Now that I have a place to share them, I will take more/better in progress pics too.

6 Likes

Coonan pulls off that look well

Awesome

more awesomeness

We have a community channel you can put videos on so I encourage you give it a whirl

6 Likes

I’ll take a screenshot of it. I may be able to do it with the addition of a drill press and getting those hand tools. You are very encouraging.

4 Likes

Your build looks great .

6 Likes