My first AR is a pistol

Here she is!

That’s a PSA complete pistol lower and a Surplus Ammo complete upper. I upgraded to an ambi safety and Raptor charging handle.

I’m waiting on a replacement end plate with a QD socket before installing the Law folder.

EDIT: I discovered that there is already a QD socket on the bottom of the Law folder itself, on the receiver side. Oh, well, an extra QD socket never hurt anybody.

21 Likes

Any suggestions on a silencer?

9 Likes

@SuppressedNation_Chris

11 Likes

Nice, should be fun to shoot.

11 Likes

556 or 300bo??

10 Likes

5.56, I’ve got 2k of that

11 Likes

Very cool looking what’s the barrel length?

11 Likes

I run the Yankee Hill Turbo, Rugged Razor and DeadAir Snadmans on my one 10.5 sbrs. The turbo would probably handle your barrel which i assume is a 7.5 but is only rated down to a 10.5?? A suppressor will help tame it but a barrel that short it will still be loud. For shortest oal I’d go Sandman k and for more suppression I’d go Sandman S if it was mine.

14 Likes

Here are the stats on the upper. I got it when I was still in Commiefornia, planning to make a compliant build with the Franklin Armory CA-7 (a single-shot bolt action AR pistol).

SAA 8" 5.56 NATO Free Float Carbine YHM MR7 MLOK Series Complete AR-15 NFA/Pistol Upper Receiver - CUSTOMIZABLE

Barrel: SAA 8" 5.56 1:7 Nitride Pistol Barrel
Bolt Carrier Group: Nitride BCG
Muzzle Device: Dragon’s Head Muzzle Break / Linear Comp

13 Likes

Nice! Looks loud

9 Likes

Very nice!!

9 Likes

Comparing the K, S, Ti and L (decibel ratings from Brownell’s):
K: 5.4”, 12.8 oz, 25 dB
S: 6.8”, 18.5 oz, 27-31 dB
L: 8.9”, 21.8 oz, 31-36 dB
Ti: 8.2”, 16.8 oz, 31-36 dB

The use case is as a backpack gun. Even the smallest can would make it poke out of the pack I have in mind, so I expect to be carrying with the can off of the gun. Those improved decibel ratings for longer cans are pretty tempting, despite the annoyance in maneuvering.

I’d like the Ti if I can find it in stock, but otherwise I’ll take the S. I like being able to hear to 20 kHz.

7 Likes

spend the extra and get a QD Surefire SOCOM…and put a hand stop on handguard.

9 Likes

Definitely would not run a ti on a shorty 556. Would run the sandman s that’s built to contain that type of blast. Also from a designer of suppressors they don’t recommend suppressing a shorter 556 barrel under 10.5 do to the barrel not always stabilizing the bullet. They have seen more baffle and end cap strikes on barrels under 10.5. We have a few videos metering the sandman s and sandman k on Full30 and YouTube in comparison videos for realworld numbers. The S has a sweet spot for tone. I like it better than the ti and L. Much more pleasant than the k. Mike Pappas usually recommends the S for most applications for a lot of use. If hunting and plinking that nomad Ti is very tempting but again ti and short barrels not a good mix.

10 Likes

Sweet looking build

9 Likes

Been beating a Surefire for 10 years on 7.5 to 20 inch AR’s and never had an issue, 45 to 75 grains bullets. 1/7, 1/8 and 1/9 twist barrels. Used it on 22 rimfires and bolt guns also, I bought mine because I saw how they were abused in Afghanistan, I don’t think you can buy a better can.

8 Likes

I have the same upper from Surplus. I have several thousand rounds through it. The dragons breath muzzle device does send a lot of sound forward. Still very loud but all those short barrel 5.56’s are without a suppressor.
The only thing that bothers me about that gun is it doesn’t like steel case ammo. I believe that is due to the short gas system and the bolt starting to extract before the steel case has shrunk down enough to reliably extract. Brass case ammo has never caused a stopage.

Cool pistol. I like AR pistols and have several in different calibers.

8 Likes

Thanks for the tip about steel! I’ll make sure to avoid it.

7 Likes

Plenty of better performing cans then surefire. They are on the loud side! They have a solid mount but tend to get carbon locked after a lot of shooting.Not sure if you have seen some of the issues with their new stock but people have had cans bulge in less then 60 rounds. With their design that means a whole new can and another tax stamp wait.

I have personally never had an issue with my 7.5 striking my can either. Was an issue I was made aware of by an engineer who designs cans recently. He told me to just warn people of the potential issue.

9 Likes

I have 1000’s of rounds through mine and no issues, never said it was the quietest, and would buy another one with no second thoughts. As with anything gun related you have to maintain it if you expect it to perform when you need it. Idiots will always be able to F stuff up. I would bet every Suppressor manufacturer gets a lot of them back due to the idiots, either way I have total faith in Surefire product.

8 Likes