My first build.

Headspace, pinning/installing gas blocks and barrel nut timing are the big things to watch.

Also, the Larue MBT is a competitor to the Geiselle and only costs $90-110.

https://www.larue.com/products/larue-tactical-mbt-2s-trigger/

5 Likes

I prefer single stage triggers either hiper fire ($) or a coated mil spec trigger (ALG, SOLGW, Spikes)

1 Like

The pinning of the gas block is the only thing I am slightly nervous about, but I think I can do it.
Thanks for the help.

2 Likes

Look at getting a good set of roll pin starter punches, especially if building AR’s becomes a habit like it has for me.:grin:

3 Likes

You might look at these people for a good, lightweight rail. They are almost foolproof for installation and they are relatively inexpensive. There is no need to time the barrel nut for the gas tube. You can get a bundle that includes a low profile gas block for less than $160. I have these rails on 4 of my rifles with their gas block with no problems.

3 Likes

I do think you will like the Faxon barrel. That is what I went with for my Grendel build. They make a quality product without going custom.

3 Likes

I was told that it’s always best to get your BCG and barrel from the same manufacturer. I don’t know how much it matters but my build went very well with the faxon barrel and BCG. Also I love the Larue MBT trigger. Got it on sale for $80 right before Christmas. That’s the number one upgrade on AR-15s, so I hear. Once again I am a noob, so I defer to the more experienced among us.

4 Likes

Toolcraft BCGs are what I run. I know a few others here who like them too. They used(might still) make the BCGs for BCM, PSA, Spikes and Aero. Alot of these guys switch suppliers or start making their own stuff though. @98Z is another member who recommends Toolcraft and he is a wealth of knowledge on most things AR from what ive been reading. The big thing is to check your hesdspace or have a smith do it, nobody likes kabooms

4 Likes

How does this rail stack up against the ALG?

I do not have experience with an ALG.

1 Like

@RedAngel
Do you have a torque wrench or access to one? You will need it for the barrel nut at a minimum.

3 Likes

I think what you’re doing is great. Build yourself a sick AR, you’ll love it and it’ll feel good to shoot it. Have you thought about low mass BCGs and adjustable gas blocks?

3 Likes

But how will you know until you’ve actually spent some time shooting and training with it? No offense intended, but this is where you’re making a rookie mistake: overspending on things you don’t need that you may not even like.

Buying quality parts is one thing, but “upgrading” is something you should only consider after you’ve become well acquainted and proficient with the rifle.

Lastly, don’t let the endless stream of online advice and component reviews of AR parts confound your build. The most important thing is to get it done and start using it.

7 Likes

I agree with this, the AR market is full of the latest and greatest parts, ive spent alot money on shit i wished i wouldnt have.
Take for example there some stuff considered “better” that I personally dont like:

Full ambi controls ( I like ambi CH though)

Adjustable gas blocks (although ive considered it several times)

2-stage triggers such as Geiselle ( I prefer single stage and actually like coated mil spec triggers better)

Sopmod stocks LMT or B5 (I really want to like them but they just dont work as good for me)

Ergo grips ( I prefer magpuls but alot of people claim the Ergo is better, I cant stand the squishy feeling)

Muzzle devices : I dislike muzzle brakes in general. I run mostly A2 flash hiders but am currently messing with Surefire and A BCM battle comp.

Point being , Its better to buy a basic mil spec rifle and build it slow and add on as you go then for your second rifle you have an idea on what fits you.

6 Likes

Can’t beat a ToolCraft BCG, in any caliber they make - I support that recommendation, 100% and then some. They ARE the manufacturer for so many companies “that make their own”, that it’s not even funny. What they’re doing with their own BCGs, though, is way above and beyond that, that other companies spec - and it’s all “standard” for them. You’ll never see tool marks on them, they’re smooth, in-spec, and have a permanent lifetime guarantee on them. Break something in one? Call them and tell them what you broke.

I have alot of BCM complete BCGs, and when I could get them, I got Rainier Arms Thunderbolt BCGS or Denny’s GTS Thunderbolt BCGs… When all those were out, I waited for something to come in stock at one of those places. That was back in the day, 2010 and forward. My recent Grendel kick, I got my first Grendel BCG from ODIN Works. It’s great, runs great, no need to replace it. The next 4 Grendel BCGS are all ToolCraft. I won’t deviate from that. There are two .308 ToolCaft BCGs now, and three more 5.56 BCGs from them. No more BCG business from anybody else - unless ToolCraft doesn’t make the caliber I’m looking for. Chances are slim on that, though…

7 Likes

Was where you’re at three AR’s ago! While I wanted to build the best AR ever my first time around, I went and bought a cheap Bushmaster Carbon15 for my first AR. Then I bought a complete upper from Ares and installed it on a lower I purchased and populated. Then, on the next one I assembled the upper and lower, and pinned it together. I still have yet to mill out 80% lowers, and have them and a jig, and press, just haven’t done it yet.

Anyway, there are parts that make the gun function, there are accessories, and then there are upgrades. As a lot of other experience in the room has already stated, good to start small and build another rifle later down the road. You can never have enough AR’s! Really, next I’d like to build a pistol, then an AR10, then a 7.62, then a 9mm, then a who knows what else. Its like legos and an addiction all mixed together!

6 Likes

be my hero and do 7.62x25

4 Likes

Now that would be impressive! I’d love to have one, or five! Tok’s shoot great, AR would be fun in that round.

4 Likes

I’m new to the AR world too, for my two cents (and from experience with my first build) If you’re budget concious at all I’d put your money where it counts and get as may componants at meets and from used sites like armslist as possible. The only big money part on my build was the barrel. I got a 16" Midwest flush profile heavy with a 1:8 twist. My buddy cast and milled the reciever himself (the guy is a genius, he even alloyed the aluminum himself in his little foundary). the rest is pretty much whatever I could get on sale and a DPMS milspec trigger group with a Bushnel AR-556 1-4 FFP variable to look through.

8 Likes

your buddy has a cnc machine ? every garage should have one…lol

5 Likes