My little AR

No Nicks or damage to the barrel internals itself. I’ve had it since 2008 and when I went to the Army I sent had to put it away all gunked up with preservative oils and stuff for the long duration in storage. After taking it back out and clean it up you would have thought it was brand new for the rifling. A paragraph I used to have a A2 front post on it but took it off and put a free-floating hand guard from ALG arms. Other than that the rifle hasn’t changed that much

4 Likes

Dedication. I love it.

4 Likes

its super messy but thats how it has to be.

4 Likes

Thank you for your service as well mate. :+1:

4 Likes

thank you for your support, its all a team effort. :wink:

3 Likes

@MikeBlack47 A 50 yard zero I would expect maybe 3" high at 100, but no more then that. I have no experience with Stag, maybe as some are pointing out, just a little picky about ammo. A 3" group 3" high at 100 wouldn’t be out of the ordinary until you dial in a good load. Sounds like you are over that, though. After a poor group at 100, have you gone back to the 50 without changing ammo or touching the scope to re-check the zero? Have you checked the headspace? Just going down the checklist. Be patient with the break in procedure. Don’t be tempted to change to many variables at the same session. Ammo changes only until you get a tight group, next session your best ammo only and tweak the scope, consistent support. When I have a new toy I just want to grab some ammo, twist the knobs, blast away, and shoot 1/2" groups at 200 yards, but it seldom works that way in real life!

3 Likes

If you replaced the forend for a free float forend check your barrel nut. What was that torqued to???. A loose barrel nut will do this.

8 Likes

Should be on the checklist for sure.

2 Likes

then you have a rare barrel, I have never seen a 1/7 shoot MOA with 55’s…62’s and above yes…

3 Likes

@albroswift everything was torque down the spec buying the manufacturer specifications for the handguard. Headspace was also checked when the refit was done. Had my gunsmith do it and so everything has always been well with him. I have other AR step-function great with 55 grains. Aero precision are the other two. I think I should go take my AR for a dunk and give it a start over. But I definitely was making sure all my T’s were crossed and I’s are dotted

2 Likes

My stagg varminteer will shoot light bullets decent, this was shot off a bipod with 50 grain American eagle AR223 varmint loads.

4 Likes

4 rare barrels! Sigs and Colts. For the record, I’m not saying
that my peep sight and red dots shoot 1" groups at 100 yards, I
can’t even see 1 inch that far! Just saying they don’t exhibit the
drunken group characteristics the OP is describing.

I agree the 62 gr groups tighter and needs the faster spin. I

really like the 62 gr tungsten and steel cores bullets, especially
at 200-300 yards or shooting at rocks on a cliff. I just haven’t
seen evidence at the range that the faster spin hurts the 55gr
pills much at all. Building a 1:8 Faxon this year so I’ll have
something to compare to, maybe I’ll change my tune!

2 Likes

@mikeBlack47

Just throwing stuff out and see what sticks. Sometimes an

inaccurate shooter is just that. It happens!

2 Likes

@albroswift well we’ll see you at the next range trip. I’m using sandbags to a ransom rest to take out a lot of the variables that may arise. I can understand what you mean by an inaccurate shooter. And sometimes that applies . I can get about a two and a half inch group at a hundred thousand the old eyeballs. Maybe better if I throw my glasses on but it seems like out of all the rifles this one’s nose issues but to be continued on it until I give a little range report later on. Also on a side note I’m not saying that 55 grain is the pure cause but I haven’t had any success with it. On a army rifle like an M16 or M4 no issues and other BCM, Daniel Defense and so on. I’ll definitely buy some heavy grain loads and some premium 55 grain. From there we’ll go and see the results. If it turns out that it is the ammunition the more happier I would be

2 Likes

Yeah, mine’s just a regular 16” “Stag-15” complete upper. I think it was the cheapest complete upper at the time I ordered it a few years ago.

I will say mine can shoot 5.56, but it shoots .223 better for some reason, no matter the grain weight. If I remember correctly, it shoots Hornady 73 gr (or is it 72 gr?) .223 the best. Even with the Hornady, my groups weren’t that great, though, maybe 3” at 100 yds from a rest. But I consider myself more of a novice, plinking shooter. So I wouldn’t necessarily attribute that to the Stag barrel. Also, my Stag barrel is supposedly chrome-lined. I don’t know if it’s true, but I thought I read somewhere that chrome-lined barrels may be slightly less accurate than non-chrome lined ones, but the difference in accuracy may be too slight to notice for novice shooters like me.

Despite all that, I will say my Stag-15 took a bit of abuse like a champ and never jammed or malfunctioned when it got wet, muddy, banged up a bit and scratched during a 10K run-n-gun biathlon almost a year and a half ago.

8 Likes

My OCD is hurtin just lookin at that.

7 Likes

Another thing that occurs to me is that is a QD scope mount. Is it really secure? You might try a different scope with a different mount.

5 Likes

Yeah, it was a bear to clean.

4 Likes

It’s a cheapo non-QD SWFA mount that I got on sale, and the scope is Burris’s “budget” TAC-30 1-4x, their cheapest variable.

4 Likes

I’m sorry, I was referring to the weapon not you! Have a good range day tomorrow.
I’m talking out my AR308 pistol and 25-45 Sharps carbine. Maybe a couple others.

4 Likes