My new 45-70 load

My new 45-70 load

I only put two rounds down range at 100 yards and they landed right on top of each other

I’m throughly impressed so far. I was letting the kids shoot but only got two rounds on this and these shots were by hand at rest. Don’t know the drops yet but the groups are amazing. Don’t think I’ll be changing it from here

7 Likes

I see you are a gun nut of culture as well.

7 Likes

Good shooting!

6 Likes

I want to stress that this load took me 6 months to perfect but damn! This is my first precision load I have made and I’m damn proud of it

6 Likes

Wanna make some 9x25 Dillon for me? Heh, I kid. Nah, I’ll go straight to .50 Beowulf. :thinking: I gotta learn how to reload…

5 Likes

45/70 is always fun to load for. Mild to wild.
The best accuracy was from IMR4895. You have to crimp the pogies out of it, or end up with a sooty barrel.
For nasty power, Reloader 7 has done incredible feats of distraction. The cool part is you cannot get any where near the max load. Your arm just cant take the pounding.
I load with those 2 powders and holy black. Pill weight as low as 360gr, best is 430gr Ranchdog.
The 540 hollow base paper patch takes a long time to make. Out at 550 yards, they break the chains holding the targets up, just by hitting the target.
Never a need for anything more.

8 Likes

I used reloader 7 on this one. Way happy with it

5 Likes

Good going!

5 Likes

A 405 gr pill traveling at 1450fps will penetrate 8 feet 6 inches of meat at 100 yards.
My dino killers do 1750fps using Reloader 7 and a 430gr pill. The stuff legends are made of.

Keep up the good work!

5 Likes