My new 45-70 load

My new 45-70 load

I only put two rounds down range at 100 yards and they landed right on top of each other

I’m throughly impressed so far. I was letting the kids shoot but only got two rounds on this and these shots were by hand at rest. Don’t know the drops yet but the groups are amazing. Don’t think I’ll be changing it from here

8 Likes

I see you are a gun nut of culture as well.

9 Likes

Good shooting!

7 Likes

I want to stress that this load took me 6 months to perfect but damn! This is my first precision load I have made and I’m damn proud of it

7 Likes

Wanna make some 9x25 Dillon for me? Heh, I kid. Nah, I’ll go straight to .50 Beowulf. :thinking: I gotta learn how to reload…

5 Likes

45/70 is always fun to load for. Mild to wild.
The best accuracy was from IMR4895. You have to crimp the pogies out of it, or end up with a sooty barrel.
For nasty power, Reloader 7 has done incredible feats of distraction. The cool part is you cannot get any where near the max load. Your arm just cant take the pounding.
I load with those 2 powders and holy black. Pill weight as low as 360gr, best is 430gr Ranchdog.
The 540 hollow base paper patch takes a long time to make. Out at 550 yards, they break the chains holding the targets up, just by hitting the target.
Never a need for anything more.

8 Likes

I used reloader 7 on this one. Way happy with it

8 Likes

Good going!

7 Likes

A 405 gr pill traveling at 1450fps will penetrate 8 feet 6 inches of meat at 100 yards.
My dino killers do 1750fps using Reloader 7 and a 430gr pill. The stuff legends are made of.

Keep up the good work!

8 Likes

6 Likes

What bullets are you using? Are they jacketed?

I use 405 grain cast bullets with Accurate 5744 powder … or at least that’s what works best in my Marlin 1895 carbine. I can’t find 5744 now so I’m using A 2200 with inferior results.

6 Likes

A-2200 works in a lot of loads but not so great in large heavy bullets/ large case volume. My results in 45-70, 405 win, and 458 SOCOM were consistent velocities but well under what could be achieved with other powders (458 did get some fair results, but Lil gun was better) I have a bunch of 2200 so I try it in everything once. Our go to for 45-70 is H-4895 and 405 gr lead (Oregon Laser Cast). Max loading around 1700 fps+ and a dislocated shoulder. Trail boss is great for 1000-1100 fps with the lead bullet. Soft shooting. Both good SDs

6 Likes

325 grain FTX with reloader #7

7 Likes

I found this interesting article saying the 45-70 will penetrate 6 feet at 1500 fps but then if it’s going faster (2100 fps) the penetration drops down to only 4 or 4.5 feet.

https://www.garrettcartridges.com/penetration.html

Strange :thinking:

6 Likes

Hydraulics? The 4’ would be deadlier in my opinion, transferring more energy in less distance.
On the extreme end is Roy Weatherby that believed that at a point the meat, blood, and bone become secondary projectiles with his magnum rifle velocities. Someone, HR Funk I think, did some stuff with water jugs. Slower bullets penetrated further but did not blow up the jugs like faster bullets, IIRC.

6 Likes

I have been trying to find a CVA single shot 45/70 but they are hard to find. I have 100 rounds of ammo when I find one…

5 Likes

I would really like to find a take down version some day. It’s on the list.

3 Likes

I bought a Traditions Outfitter G3 single shot in 35 Whelen, have only got to put a few rounds through it. Wanting a 45/70 but current gun/ammo situation could get worse with the Russia thing going on.

5 Likes

Don’t see it getting better anytime soon.

3 Likes

All depends what you want, meat or a trophy.

A flat meplat bullet properly placed will down game and has been doing it for a very long time. Maybe more tissue destruction will drop it sooner, but also destroy lots of meat. A famous writer* said about non expanding slower bullets that you can eat all the way to the hole. High velocity expanders, that can’t be done. The key is not to shoot at the animal but to place the bullet in a specific place on the animal. If you can’t do that forget it and don’t BS yourself about your capabilities.

*I know his name just can’t recall it. Elmer Keith, that’s the name.

5 Likes