My new competition M14

I thought I would share with you guys my new competition M14. As some of you know, I have switched from the AR platform and have gone to the 7.62x51 NATO cartridge permanently.

This rifle started out as a Springfield M1A loaded rifle that I purchased some years back. I could have purchased a new SOCOM but I already had a good rifle. So off to the smith she went for the barrel change.

She now has a 16” barrel mounted with my ACC-SDN-6 7.62 suppressor. An Archangel chassis. An airborne rail over the action that allows the use of the iron sights. An advanced BAC Trijicon with a red chevron. (Medium range)
And finally a Trijicon RMR red dot mounted with a T-Rex angled base used for the kill house and short range.

The trigger is a lot of the game so it now has an adjustable M14 EBR RPS TRIGGER™ that also prevents accidental doubles.

The last thing I’m waiting on is an M1 lock bar WW2 T-3 rear sight.
Pictures to follow…

11 Likes

11 Likes

10 Likes

11 Likes

12 Likes

Verrryyyy Nice!

10 Likes

Thanks Ridgewalker. I’m anxious to zero everything tomorrow. I want to get it into action soon.

10 Likes

Good lookin M1A.

10 Likes

Why not run .06?

9 Likes

M1A is not chambered for the 06. also cost of ammo would be higher. surplus 06 is hard to find now.

11 Likes

Yeah it’s a short action on the M14. With the 06 the shot recovery time would be too slow. I would be competing against the AR platform and 5.56.
It’s a somewhat disadvantage as it is against the BB guns. The archangel chassis helps amazingly with the recoil as it will now push straight back vs. back and up. I practiced with the Springfield SOCOM a little. Very different rifle. Double taps are much much easier. Recovery time a lot less. Based on stance and form it’s not a problem. At least for me. Will it ever be as fast as a well trained 5.56 shooter? No. But I am after the skill of being competitive with a much more efficient cartridge.

Before I changed barrels on this rifle I tested and performed pass throughs on my own AR plate body armor. I shoot 147gr M80 ball (reloaded) for shooting this but I also load my own copper for armor pass throughs with 168gr projectiles. I posted that picture in my other thread. I’m not going to shoot into my ceramics for testing though. They fracture after a hit and are unserviceable after that.

10 Likes

Did this trigger make it a select fire?

10 Likes

No. I can adjust the reset, pull weight and second stage travel.

9 Likes

Looks like fun.

10 Likes

That’s a nice gun you’ve put together :+1:

I just loaded up some 147gr fmj into mostly lc 7.62x51 brass. Bullets are pulled so accuracy will suffer some but at .10cents a pill I had to give them a try. The plan is next week out of the ruger small frame.

5 Likes

Very nice. I load 147gr., IMR-4895 and always use LC brass. The case volume remains closely the same for the same burn rate.

I chronographed from my 16” barrel for a 10 shot average velocity of 2611 which is 3 fps off the ballistic chart for an M80. That’s very good indeed, with 42gr of IMR-4895 and a cartridge OAL of 2.800

5 Likes

My standard load is 50gr 4895, the pulled shoot just find.
The 147s do not fly as flat as the M1118.
But they hit wild all over the target. Have not found a 1:10 barrel they would fly in yet.

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure you can’t even get that much 4895 into the case. Might be a typo.

Standard velocity of an M80 with 147/150 gr is 2750 out of a 20” barrel. 42 gr gives me that in a Lake City case. That has an average pressure of 50,000 psi.
This matches the NATO spec

Shooting out of a 16” barrel I am averaging 2611 fps using a 10 shot average.

This should mean that I can twist a machine gun belt apart, load it up, abandon the tracers, and have a reasonably accurate zero.

4 Likes

He shoots a 30-06 not a 308.

4 Likes

7.62x63 Hell of a cartridge.
Got no time to play with 30-06 light rounds.

2 Likes