My new toy

It’s been several months waiting for the foundry to finish this beast. Now I need to start buying the lumber and building the carriage.

15 Likes

Hell yeah!!!

10 Likes

How much was that thing if you don’t mind me asking.

11 Likes

About $1800 plus the shipping. There’s about a 3 month wait.

12 Likes

Next step, check.

Yep, some assembly required.

13 Likes

Can i come shoot it?

10 Likes

You gonna use iron sights or put some glass on it?

11 Likes

I was able to get out into my garage and start building the cannon carriage. Somehow I managed to end up one 4x4 short, and a surplus of one 2x10. Not sure how that happened.

I’ve also got a length of sisal rope 1" in diameter, some 1" eye bolts, a bunch of square nuts, and a pair of trunnion caps on the way. I should have all that on Monday. I plan to brown all the metal parts to give it an aged look. Still need to settle on a stain color. I want it to look aged.

13 Likes

Years ago the owner of the company I work for called me to his office . When I got there he told me I would be working on a project for his brother. I ended up making all of the sheet metal parts for a civil war era cannon . I forget the size but we would fill beer cans half full of concrete for projectiles. He had a river bottom field that was 1 mile long that we shot it at . He got to where he could hit a 4x8 sheet of plywood at 300 yards then just lost interest and moved on to other projects.

8 Likes

I considered a civil war cannon, but the cost is crazy high. If you’re lucky, you might find one starting around $15k for a functional cannon. The price goes up from there. This one is a bit smaller, an 18th century cannonade which was used in ships because it was smaller and easier to maneuver in the tight quarters of a ship. But will still weight in around 500 pounds when complete. Total cost is going to come in around $2500 which is a deal for any full scale cannon that’s historically accurate. I could buy a smooth bore tube and build a cannon, that’s easy, but I wanted something for the most part, historically accurate.

8 Likes

While I’ve not had much free time on my hands with school or building 1911s, I’ve still managed to get some work done on my cannon.

I’ve got the carriage mostly done. Today I stained it and got the barrel mounted. I still need to do a bit more work on the wheels, like making them a bit more round, and finally wrapping them with a metal band. I also need to mount the ring bolts to run the 1" rope and make the elevation block. Finally, I plan to barrel brown all the metal hardware. I may be doing the first test fire in a week or so.

12 Likes

I CAN’T WAIT. Glad you have had all that work though.

10 Likes