Name a firearm you like, but no one else does!

KeithP:

Agreed. The Ruger .454 Casull recoils worse than the S&W .460, because of the weight differential.

I have the S&W .460 in both the 5 inch barrel and the 8.375 inch barrel. I shot the 5 inch barrel with .460 ammo one cylinder full. That was enough for me. After that, I only shot (shoot) .454 Casull and .45 (Long) Colt out of it. The 8.375 inch barrel gun I love shooting the .460 out of - especially when I have one of my friends with me. We take turns shooting it and that is how I know first hand about the wind - amazing!

The 5 inch barrel .460 S&W revolver weighs 60 ounces, whereas the Ruger .454 Casull weighs around 53 ounces (7.5 inch barrel). So, yeah, the Ruger’s recoil in .454 Casull would be a bit snappy and heavy.

Regarding your H&R Topper in .410, I can’t even remember the number of times I thought about buying one of those. Glad you enjoy yours. I started off with the Snake Charmer - loved it, but idiot here sold it when I was moving to Chicago (I had read up on their anti-gun sentiment there, so did not want to deal with it any more than I had to). Now, I have a Stoeger double barrel (SxS) with double triggers in .410 (full/full fixed choke). It does the job! And, I no longer live in Chicago.

Congratulations on such fine shooting. Squirrels are hard to hit when they are moving.

1 Like

Mister_Torgue:

I hear a lot of great things about Mosins. So, what happens when you need replacement parts? Are they available at gun stores, or do you have to buy used parts somewhere, or…?

1 Like

You can go to a few places for parts, but you would be hard pressed to need them. There are a few places you can go. Two that have been really good to me is apex gun parts and numrich gun parts, both on the internet. Like I said IF you would need a part, those rifles are rock solid.

2 Likes

I love mine too. You have to like a firearm that keeps its bayonet with itself!

4 Likes

I agree with you on this. Boy ho boy does that argument get old. I have polys from the 90’s that I use, and they don’t skip a beat.

3 Likes

Switchpod:

thanks for the feedback.

I have heard they are not expensive generally. What kind of price range would someone find a Mosin in?

Also, what calibers?

1 Like

Generally these days “ pending where you live” $200-$300. 4 years ago you could buy one at fleet farm for $89.00 a piece. A word of caution, the mosin is not a very refined rifle. They are rough around the edges compared to a modern rifle. There popularly is due to

1. It is a historic rifle
  2. Ammo WAS very cheap- .14 cents a round.
  3. The price of the rifle was cheap
    You could get a rifle and 440 rounds of ammo for it for $155.00.
    Now on the used market you may be able to find one cheaper than 200-300.
2 Likes

Unless the mosin has been re barreled they all should be chambered in 7.62x54r.

2 Likes

If you where in the market for a real nice mosin you could find a Finnish mosin M39. In my opinion they are the nicest of all the mosins.

3 Likes

All this talk of mosins…bunch of primitive savages let me tell you.

3 Likes

For reference I’ve been looking for years and I waited too long and now prices are getting crazy. I wanted to see and touch one myself so I opted to not use GunBroker or other online sales sites. So I got lucky and 2 found numbers matching 1943 Izzy’s for $399 each. One was a former sniper that also had its matching numbers bayonet. To me that price was decent enough considering I didn’t pay shipping or an FFL fee and the barrels looked great. FYI most GunBroker people charge another ~4% for you using a credit card–keep that in mind. A $250 rifle on GunBroker will end up looking like this:

$250
$30 shipping (estimated)
$25 FFL fee
$10 credit card fee (4%)
Totaling: $315

And you’re not guaranteed all matching numbers or a counterbored rifle or even a barrel that’s not all shot out. Having said that I second looking for a Finnish one if you’ve got the money. I wanted to go cheaper and get shooters and not wall hangers. I’d end up wall hanging the Fin one.

4 Likes

Still around $150 hear at gun shows.

3 Likes

Good pick me up 2 please!

2 Likes

I’ll pick up a No4 MkI over anything else from that era. The SMLE concept is a superior weapon system. Second place would be a toss between the '03A3, Kar98k and M1917. The Springfield is insanely accurate though.

4 Likes

I would take aa 03a3 or 1917 but I will not buy anything not American made in firearms .

1 Like

MAS-36. Now there’s an underrated rifle for ya.

1 Like

Most wouldn’t make a good fence post. The better ones have been n bought up.

1 Like

Everyone:

Thanks for all the great replies and advice.

I will put them on my back burner list as I already have too many on the top priority list (of guns to buy).

1 Like

I only have 3! I can quit anytime!!! LOL!

2 Likes

You can never have enough!

4 Likes