NATO round 5.7x28mm

13 Likes

That P90 is the ugliest gun to ever be manufactured.

12 Likes

Its not my cup of tea either. Way over priced too , in my opinion.

11 Likes

Yeah, it’s right up there with the Glocks, but what am I missing here? Am I the only one that thinks this is a big why?

14 Likes

It’s a fun caliber and as ugly as the p90 is it’s comfortable to shot and easy to control on full auto

12 Likes

I want to see Sigs MPX or whatever its called in this caliber.

9 Likes

The P90 on full auto is fun.

11 Likes

The 5.7 as a NATO round is just politics in my opinion. FN is based in Belgium as is NATO.
The 5.7 is a fun round but way overpriced at $2-3/rd.

11 Likes

Thanks that answers part of my why

11 Likes

Politics are more or less the reason for any of it, just look at 5.56.

9 Likes

FN designed the 5.56? Really? And I thought it came out of the US Army in the 60s. I must be an idiot or FN is full of shit.

I always thought the 5.7 was ballisticly a centerfire .22 magnum.

Also, I always thought the P90 was either a love it or hate it design (like the taste of cilantro*- no in between). I never fired one or even held one, but it always struck me as being very ergonomic. Because of “form follows function” I always thought it was a good design, bearing in mind never actually fondling one.

*I’m a cilantro despiser. To me it just tastes like soap. But I like the seed pod whose name eludes me at the moment (coriander). Back to your regularly scheduled program.

8 Likes

I never said that. I said it always comes down to politics when it comes to this sort of stuff whether its 5.56 or 5.7. As in they dont neccassarily go for the most practical,“smart” or “best” option.

8 Likes

The article said it.

9 Likes

As far as the the p90 goes it was ok from my limited experience with it, has a real clunky 80s feel though.

6 Likes

That makes sense then. Not with the article though. I didnt catch that.

6 Likes

Apparently, the US had the 223 Remington designed in the late 50s and the 5.56 was designed in the late 70s by FN.

9 Likes

And yet it was found in the M16 when it was first used by our troops in the late 60s. I think that’s when the M16 first made it’s appearance. The M16A1 was definitely being used in the early '70s since I had one issued to me.

That history is BS.

9 Likes

Further reading led me to FN developing the SS109 version of 5.56x45 as the NATO standard round in the late 70s. They did not invent 5.56x45 as a cartridge.

9 Likes

Wasn’t the 5.7 developed as part of FN’s entry into a competition for a NATO contract?

The HK 4.6 was part of HK’s entry, before the whole idea was dropped by NATO, if my memory isn’t off.

8 Likes

The 5.7 was developed for the special ops troops to shoot people wearing body armor.

8 Likes