New affordable electronic smart target from IWA 2018

Yes it is smart paper target with detection for metal projectiles. It is coffe price and you will save time, and you have several training modes in app, games, and history of your results, also included timer.

Bluetooth is approx 30 - 100m and wifi will be approx 1km with special andtenna :slight_smile:

1 Like

Standard maximum bluetooth range is 10m (or 30 feet) in an unobstructed environment. If there is any metal near the transmitter, that range will drop as the metal absorbs the radio waves. Are you amplifying the signal sent by your transmitter? Also, is there any data sent by the device to the transmitter? Or is the data transfer one way?

This is important, because it will determine how far a shooter can be from your target. And a shooter will have to do some research to determine if their device can both send and receive from the same range. Finally, you will have to build in some fault tolerance for longer ranges. As packets get dropped due to wind, solar radiation, and any other outdoors interference that come up.

The wifi signal would be better, but you’d have to be using a special antenna to point the signal directly at the shooter/a receiver for longer ranges (over 300 feet). And your app would have to be able to use a shooters device as a wireless access point, if there is no wifi connection else ware. Or the transmitter would have to act as the access point for the shooters device.

Keep in mind, none of this is saying you can’t do this, or this isn’t a good idea. I do believe, having that feedback to a shooter would be beneficial. Both in terms of zeroing a scope, and just telling a shooter how they’re doing on accuracy.

4 Likes

Hi, We are using BT 4.0 and we have measured maximum 120m connection with Ipad air 2. Stable connection is in range approx 30-50 m.

We are now working on two options:
A) long range radio modules - bridge (requires other device- with external antenna connected to smartphone )
B) GSM module in Trainshot electronic unit (requires SIM)

We will see whot solution will be better, what do you think?

2 Likes

I’ll stick with my 1cent a piece paper plates & Leopold spotting scope…

1 Like

I need to do some research on BlueTooth 4.0 apparently. The only time I’ve heard of reliable wireless transmission is using a directional antenna for wifi. Or a really big omnidirectional antenna (that was fun/a pain to setup).

That said, those are some impressive distances! What other devices have you tested outside the ipad? I’m trying to get a sense of what device ranges this could be used with. If you haven’t already, using a range of devices all over the price spectrum, with varying operating systems, would be a good idea. (Linux and Sailfish support would also be a great way to expand your customer base).

A unit capable of taking a sim card would be a great idea, for those really long distances. Though I’m not sure who your target customer would be in the civilian market. Unless you could set your app to pair and unpair to devices at a range. Then let the range handle the cell bill, and users to pay a fee to use the modules.

That bridge model also sounds like a good idea, and something that might work better in civilian hands.

Keep in mind, I’m only just getting into shooting. For all I know, we have many shooters out there, that regularly shoot at ranges where you’d need multiple bridges and/or an additional sim card on their plan.

I do hope those pan out really well for you!

Have you considered different target designs? Designs that clearly mark out 2/4/6 circles, targets with clear hostage marking, ect.

1 Like

@Sonny initiate self destruct protocol

3 Likes

Type @Sonny Bring me my gun for more help

Bring out your dead!

1 Like

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

3 Likes

Time to change sonnys message photo

bring out your dead!

the monsters coming!

2 Likes