New American Citizen

I just wanted to share a happy moment. My mother-in-law, a real sweet lady, passed her citizenship test and was sworn in as an American citizen today. She did it while battling cancer and struggling through the terrible effects of chemo. We’re real proud of her for persevering and following through with it despite feeling like crap and not having any energy to do much.

11 Likes

Congratulations to your MIL.

7 Likes

She did it right! I’d like to slap you both on the back. But what a high mountain to climb under such handicaps! She’s to be commended and I mean so much more but don’t have words to express what I mean. Good for her! Welcome to citizenship!

8 Likes

Congratulations to her. Thanks for doing it the proper way.

8 Likes

Congratulations to her and way to overcome! She is truly an inspiration.

8 Likes

That really is a fantastic share :+1:

Once she’s feeling better can you send her to DC?

They seem to need help understanding the method :smirk:

9 Likes

That is awesome congrats to her! My thoughts are with her for her battle against that terrible disease. :pray:

7 Likes

Thanks everyone for the kind words and prayers!! She had been a lawful permanent resident for a long time. So while she was legal and didn’t need to become a citizen, she nonetheless always wanted to take that extra step to be become a full-fledged American citizen. But you know how it is. Working full time at Walmart, raising 6 kids and putting 5 of them through college. It was hard for her to devote the time necessary to get all the application paperwork necessary, study for the test, etc. All her kids are American citizens, and her husband, my father-in-law, also became a citizen many years ago. So she didn’t want to be left out!

She’s now too weak to work after almost two years fighting cancer. Having been born and raised American, it’s easy for me to take American citizenship for granted. But to see her overcome nausea, vomiting, hair loss, exhaustion and chemo-induced neuropathy, and still take the initiative to become an American citizen is truly inspiring.

So we had a celebration today, complete with a star-spangled cake and some good BBQ at her house. I know to some it might sound kind of corny, but we even played and sang the Star-Spangled banner at the table today!

8 Likes

That is awesome, Ed! I wish the people born here would understand and respect the great opportunities that this country provides like your in-laws do.

9 Likes

Tears in my eyes. You folks get it. Not everyone does.

8 Likes

I think it is awesome!

7 Likes

Nice! Congratulations to Manuela Ed!

6 Likes