New, and Old

Coming over here from the Sixgunner forum, looks to be a pretty fresh start. I doubt we’ll hear much from Mr T. Himself, but there are a few of us who still might have something of note to say.
In these times of great change there is something to be said for a powerful and accurate sixgun, not the least of which is that you can save your brass. One clean shot always beats the misses, no matter how fast they fire, and quality steel will always outlast plastic.
Happy to be here,
MAK

16 Likes

Welcome to the forum from western North Carolina.

9 Likes

Howdy , but choose a new name one MAC is enough… just kidding @MAC82

Nice choice in iron though, nothing comes close in terms of aesthetics. For defensive stuff I go with Tupperware though.

Anyhow welcome from NE Oregon

10 Likes

Thanks for the intro, nice seeing you and looking forward to more of your wisdom

:sunglasses:

9 Likes

Welcome to the forum

9 Likes

Hey MAk, glad you made it over.

9 Likes

Welcome!

7 Likes

Welcome from KY

5 Likes

@MAK welcome to full30.

5 Likes

Well thanx gents.
Just as a side note, I once did pack a polymer frame pistol. It was a marvel of simplicity and functionality. The molding process had imparted all sorts of different surfaces, not the least of which was the prominent raised seam left from where the mold pieces met.
I won’t mention the manufacturer, but to say the gun was not a candidate for engraving would be an understatement.
My experiment ended with the final note that this pistol simply was not practical. It was field accurate, but incapable of threading the needle, which was a common occurrence with my .357, which could sever a wire from forty yards away. It would not sit well in anything but a holster, which made it impossible to tote in confined spaces common to life in the mountains, and what was worse, it was bulky and awkward in all the wrong places.
If people find they really enjoy the act of living with a polymer frame pistol, then it’s all good with them, however the true practicality of a fine sixgun is not matched, much less superseded, by the mechanical marvel encased in molded plastic

6 Likes

Big thing for me is light weight and capacity. I won’t knock a wheel gun of any sort but as with anything it’s apples to oranges. Certain polymer guns such as HK and Glock have decades of military and LE testing to validate their durability and reliability. They lack character and are ugly in comparison to steel a d their triggers generally are subpar but they offer their own strengths and weaknesses in this debate, just my 2 cents.

7 Likes

True enough, that the polymer frame fits pretty well with the features of modern society. Neither LE or Mil applications are particularly concerned with the longevity or practical application that living outdoors demands. For those who are mostly focused on the life in those organizations, nothing much else need apply.
However, if we admit that neither LE or Mil can fully define the needs of an individual life, then we also admit to requiring different solutions than those they provide.
Speaking personally, this is where I am at. I do, however, understand that others may find themselves in a different pair of boots.

7 Likes

Welcome aboard! I’ve never been a fan of wheel guns but do admire some of the looks and history!

8 Likes

Their testing includes extreme environmental exposure and heavy impact uses…unless you mean using them as hammers but either way the HK USP/HK 45 are tanks.

7 Likes

Abuse via misuse has long been a pastime for some, but those who appreciate what their tools, and in this case, sixgun can accomplish, recognize utility and value when they experience it.
The high desert has a certain way with polymer, plastic quickly ages and becomes brittle, nor is their any real way to reverse this process once it begins. This is less a problem for any agency than it is for the individual.
Some people love polymers, but truthfully, polymers are used due to ease of manufacture, and reduced cost compared to steels, not due to any material superiority.
I’ll close my part of this discussion with a small anecdote. While I wouldn’t call us close friends, Kyle was fond of sharing the details of his life with me. One fall day he was up to something or other, when he dropped his Single Six off onto a boulder to lighten his load. Being Kyle, he forgot about for weeks. By the time he put 2 and 2 back together, the winter snows had arrived, making a return to the locale risky, even impossible.
It wasn’t until late spring that he retrieved the gun, and after a day of cleaning, he presented the gun to me, and asked if I wanted to shoot it. The blue had changed to a variety of hues, and one of the grip panels was badly cracked. The barrel had plenty of rifling, and other than the fact that it had wintered on a boulder, it looked just like many other well worn Single Sixes. Well the gun fired flawlessly. Kyle liked to sight his guns differently than I, so it shot above target at first. Soon enough though, I had the gun hammering the target, with very acceptable accuracy.
Steel is durable, sixguns are practical, nor do polymers replace them, at least not amongst those who lived outdoors.
MAK out.

9 Likes

Thats a crazy story, hope I never do that myself, tough to rule out though, life being life and all :sweat_smile:

Good share

8 Likes

Let me guess… Glock :face_vomiting:

8 Likes

Welcome! I’m from utah

7 Likes

To each their own , I’ve never seen an HK suffer from the outdoors though and I know plenty outdoorsmen that carry 10mm glocks up here in the PNW and Alaska. Single action revolvers are much tougher though I don’t disagree with that at all.

6 Likes

This will show my age and experience. Never knew a handgun could carry so much ammo till I saw Mel Gibson shoot at that helicopter in Lethal Weapon. I wanted a Beretta after that…never did get one. About 20 years later I got a Springfield SDm in 40 S&W. Just now replaced my Single Action with it for daily carry. My heart is still with the SA but now days, odds are if I ever encounter a situation, it will probably be more than one vs one.

LONG LIVE THE BIG REVEOLVERS

9 Likes