New AR build has light strike problem

Did you look to see if the primer seated deeper in to the case on those rounds?

6 Likes

I got a “CMMG” parts kit online that turned out to be bogus Chinese knockoff parts. The springs in the kit were pure shizit. Check the hammer spring, make sure it’s a good one.
Mine actually bent and didn’t have enough strength to drive the firing pin home.

6 Likes

Bad ammo maybe?

4 Likes

I wold have to see all the parts and ammo.
Some Russian ammo has thicker primers.
The hammer spring is a good thing to look at. Measure the firing pin and check your measurements with a known good one.

5 Likes

Start with the ammo, try a different brand. This is of course if you took the BCG apart and cleaned it up real good before using it.

5 Likes

I’ve had this happen on a couple of my 7.62 x39 ammo, Light Strike because the primer pushed down into the pocket further. I refed into the gun and they went off fine.

4 Likes

Ammo run fine in my other rifle in same range visit. So Ill check the measurements with my other rifle when i clean it tonight ( already measured the faulty rifle ) Dont realy have a way to check springs other than by feel comparing with another rifle. Hate to be swapping parts for a hit and miss fix and run to the range each time.

3 Likes

Can you change the springs at the range?

1 Like

Make sure the hammer spring is installed in the correct direction. Can be installed backwards.

3 Likes

Check your headspacing as well

2 Likes

Probably but I just got finished cleaning and measuring the BCG on the good running rifle and the specs are exactly the same as the problem rifle. So next was testing hammer tension by hand and it seems that my new build has almost half as much tension as my good running rifle so next I`ll get a new hammer spring rather than rob one from another rifle for hit and miss testing

1 Like

Did your firing pins match up in length?

2 Likes

Exactly all bolt measurements between both rifles were the same including firing pin protrusion. Believe it may be weak hammer spring now

3 Likes

That ok because it’s an easy and cheap fix Brother!

2 Likes

I got mine from my LGS package looks genuine. Checked the hammer spring tension against my other rifle and it seems to be almost half so I believe that will be my next move.

1 Like

Hi Tribes,
I see that you’re not new here (joined in May) but this place has really picked up since then.
Since this is your first post we’d like to encourage you to stop by the introductions section and tell us about yourself.

This like is to the updated “What to expect” topic.

But welcome back and we look forward to your input.

5 Likes

Thanks glad to have another good place to visit. I post sometimes on Firearms Forum good bunch of guys over there too . Got a little humor also. I`ts good to have a place where people can trade info and and show off their toys.

4 Likes

Good call, may be a legit kit with a bad spring too. My kit looked very legit, but I noticed a few things that seemed “off” and after really checking things over, I found numerous small details that just didn’t jive with my previous CMMG kits…the springs were the dead ringer.
I bet that new hammer spring will cure your issue.

4 Likes

I’m sure it wont hurt to have an extra hammer spring laying around anyway.

2 Likes

I dont know enough about ARs…

Could it be that the bolt carrier and bolt is not all the way forward when the hammer is released so the hammer strikes the bolt carrier first driving it forward as well as delivering a light strike onto the firing pin?

2 Likes