New build starting

Well, I just bought a new frame to start a build with.

Found a seller on Gunbroker with 80% Seies 80 stainless steel commander frames for $99.95. Frame is Clark/Para ramped.

I’ll bob the grip and build it as a .45 ACP. I’ll keep everyone posted.

14 Likes

I do like a Commander. Will you build it as a Series 80?

Can you even get a 45 barrel with a Clark/Para ramp?

8 Likes

I’ll build it as Series 70. I’ve got a shim laying around at home already.

Fusion makes a semi-drop in barrel, and KKM makes a full fit barrel with the ramp.

7 Likes

My choice would be KKM. I have one in 9mm with the C/P ramp standing by for my next build.

9 Likes

Yeah, that’s what I will most likely get. I want a full fit barrel.

7 Likes

Any other plans for this build
Checkering ? Maybe

7 Likes

I would like for the front strap to be checkered, or textured in some way, but I would have to buy the guide and files for that. Those are purchases I want to make, but we will see how the time frame goes.

8 Likes

It’s worth the investment if you plan on building a bunch

6 Likes

I’m sure, and I’m a tool guy anyways. If I need it once, I want it forever lol

7 Likes

Good luck with the project and please keep us in the loop with pics :smiley:

6 Likes

I second this question.

4 Likes

I’ve also ordered a slide from 1911builders.com with front and rear serrations.

So I’ve got that going for me.

7 Likes

Well, the frame’s here. I gave it a once over without cleaning it off, and it looks good as far as I can tell. It does have a little of a bevel in the mag well, but I will probably enhance that a bit. Also thinking about undercutting the trigger guard.

Went ahead and dropped it in my decking jig, and there’s just a bit to take off. I’ll need to grind a safe edge on one of my files for that.

6 Likes

That frame looks pretty good.
I can’t remember if they all come .020" over, but that should go quickly.

What are you using to cut the rails?
And as for magwell mouth, have you at all considered going with a Stan Chen Gen2 magwell? They don’t add to length of grip, and technically, you could change the shape a bit to make it more of a roundbutt.

4 Likes

Can us regular DIY folks get a Chen II? I thought you had to be on his list of authorized gunsmiths. I’d love one for my next build.

4 Likes

I hadn’t thought about that magwell. I may have never seen it lol. I’ll look at it.

I’ve ordered a Matrix Precision rail cutter, but it’s from a place I don’t have a warm and fuzzy feeling about…but it was only $170. If all else, I figure I can dispute the transaction lol.

4 Likes

@BobRock, oh, right I forgot about that. Gen 1 is definitely a bit more work, but is also really good.

@aberdrew13, I hope that jig is not made by one of the copycats. Can’t comment on quality or accuracy.

2 Likes

I didn’t know there even were copycats…

I hope I’m getting it from Osirus Tactical. Let’s hope they are legit. They’ve got some not bad pricing on kits, and also all P80 kits and some Sig 320 kits.

3 Likes

Cost always being a factor I understand
I hope it all works out with the jig from them
The matrix rail cutter is a great investment
You won’t be disappointed with it

4 Likes

I’ll look into seeing if we are on the list
If I can order a few we can work something out maybe

6 Likes