New channel advice

I’m passionate about starting a new channel to deliver useful content. I’ve never done anything like this before and I’m looking for advice on how to proceed. Such as, should I start on YouTube or pick a different platform? What camera and mic do you think is awesome? Editing software?..

I would start on YouTube for now, it’s really the only game in town at the moment (there are others, but all the viewers are on YouTube). If you are starting a firearms-related channel, I highly recommend checking out (and joining) Gun Channels, which is a web site for both firearm content creators, and those interested in firearms. It’s free to join, and there are a lot of people like you, starting out creating firearm-related content. As far as camera and mic, if you are just starting out, and you have a fairly modern smart phone, that will work just fine. I do all of my video recording on an Apple iPhone 8. The editing software I use is Apple iMovie. Obviously, if you are not an Apple fan, you will have a different phone. Also, if you have a Microsoft Windows PC, you will need third-party software such as CyberLink PowerDirector for video editing. Good luck, and I hope to see your videos one of these days!

What’s your budget for equipment? I just got a Panasonic Lumix G7 with a bunch of extras for $500 but that was a good sale. You can periodically find it for $500 without extras. It came with a Rode VideoMic Go and it’s a pretty decent combo.

I agree with GizzardGary. You’ll probably want to start on YouTube for now. Easier to get seen that way.

I use Adobe Premiere Pro but that’s too expensive for some people. You can find some free or inexpensive video editors out there. I’m not sure of the favorites though.

YouTube has the most people using it and it’s easy to set up. If I can do it anyone can.
I am on a pretty strict budget so I use a Galaxy S6 cell phone as my primary camera and my current Galaxy S8 as a second/slow mo camera. I’m sure there are better cameras out there but now days there are some descent cameras on cell phones.
I’m kind of ashamed to admit it but I use Windows Movie Maker for editing. It’s pretty basic but it gets the job done especially for someone who knows nothing about video editing like me.

Good luck.
Gordo