New Frontier Armory EXP 5.56 pistol

Anyone have any thoughts, experiences, likes or dislikes with this 5.56 pistol?

1 Like

Hello. I’m an owner of an Extar EXP for several years. Here’s my experience.

PRO:
Essentially no recoil whatsoever.
Works well with Magpul magazines
No buffer tube. YAY!
Side-charging
Light-weight (polymer) construction
Built-in top accessory rail for optics.
Suits my carry style: Single-point QD bungee all-day field carry

NEUTRAL:
When they say “5.56” they MEAN 5.56! Shooting .223 will turn this into a single-shot jam-o-matic. (Failure to strip rounds from mag for next shot).
Very loud. (Did I mention “very”?)
Severe side-blast to anyone who might be alongside you

I am a big fan of this gun. With either standard sights or red-dots this gun will hit! I am not a high-volume shooter, so any worries that a polymer AR won’t hold up as well as an all metal one is not a concern to me. I love the buffer-tubeless recoil-operated system this gun uses and can’t understand why more companies don’t make use of it.

The NEGATIVES:
In my opinion, this gun is a star! They should be selling by the pallet load and work-likes being copied all over the place. I don’t know what’s wrong with New Frontier. They’ve been out of stock for-ever and I’ve little hope that they will actually follow through on manufacturing any more either in 5.56 or their announced-but-never-seen 9mm. There’s either no money or no will at the company to make this gun the success it deserves. I wish another manufacturer would take over the design and do something (great) with it.

One Extar owner’s thoughts.

2 Likes