New german assault rifle?

The old battle rifles dont stack up well next to the newer AR10s,SCARs. Especially the weight… Yikes…

5 Likes

Depends on which one it is, some still do.

5 Likes

You know what the difference in a vintage M-16 and a modern M-4 is?

5 Likes

Not according to several militaries , it faired better in several different areas even. I wouldnt really call any of them inferior just different.

Looks pretty hardy

Look at how many countries use them and look at how many conflicts it was battle tested in

The G3 beat has both of them in reliability in harsh environments in various military trials.

5 Likes

Not really. They are useable but much heavier , clunkier, less accurate and more maintenance is needed really.

They are definitly functional but not on the same level as modern equivalent s in any category but looks.

5 Likes

I actually preferred the M14 to the G3, my A hole platoon leader seemed to think it was funny to make me carry the pig when I had to do regular patrols, I ditched my.M16 as soon as I found out I could and never even looked at the platform again until recently, as I have said before I could barely remember how to get it apart to clean it the first time, pretty much consider myself a Fudd on the platform still with all the upgrades in the last 50 years

5 Likes

A lot of options for the M1A to make it lighter now. excellent rifles.

5 Likes

Lots of stuff?

The rifle has had more R&D than any other rifle in the world and the m4 came along much later.

By vintage do you mean the ones first fielded or prototypes?

4 Likes

I’m not talking about the old wooden stocked models. some are not heavier clunkier, not any less accurate and no more maintenance is needed. take the older 308 galil for instance.

5 Likes

Then why did it see such limited use in the field? The g3 was in use far more and much more proven.

4 Likes

The originals didn’t have chrome chambers so they were prone to failure, the A1 had it.

5 Likes

Money

5 Likes

Meh, i’m outnumbered here. i don’t hate H&K, i just wouldn’t buy one over a AR15 or 308 AR. i need to get busy anyway. i’ll be back to argue with you stamped steel lovin fudders later. :rofl:

6 Likes

Not on par with the SCAR or Bren or the AR10s in the field such as the LMT. They shoot moa in many cases , less weight (almost as little as an AR), more modular, service life is alot longer, and it has rails for goodies.

The galil is an exception in terms of maintenance and reliability but still shows its age in every other category. The Israelis have mentioned numerous times that the Galil was a pig

5 Likes

Correct, there was also no foreward assist on the ones the AF used. The AR10 was the original model but politicians wanted 5.56. Also ammo was part of why the m16 failed at first , all could be chalked up to politicians though.

6 Likes

False

4 Likes
5 Likes

Have to disagree with you on that sir, I have an 03A3 that will drive tacks, or will til I screwed up the front sight, they were used from WWI through Viet Nam as sniper rifles. Hmmm I think I need to get over to the Mil Surp area for some suggestions before I bubba it up

6 Likes

The LMT can shoot sub moa easily with the right shooter and ammo. It can fill multiple roles too. The Brits and NZ military use them.

03A3 is a bolt gun though, I am talking battle rifles as in semi auto .308 pigs of yester year being compared to new school battle rifles such as the AR10(LMT MWS) , Scar H , or Bren.

6 Likes

I enjoy gun arguements as long as we dont shoot one another over it :grimacing:

6 Likes