New Member intro.

Me too

4 Likes

That’s fine, I can set something up for night time. :smile:
Serioiusly. I really do have a bank vault as we own an old bank building and the top floor vault needs cracked. It’s been a long time since that thing was opened and who ever ran the bank never left the combination.
Does the stethoscope thing work like you see in the movies?

5 Likes

Welcome to FULL30 and forum, real glad you found us and we like Cajuns too!

5 Likes

Welcome and enjoy!!

4 Likes

Also Blue Chip stamps. But never heard of United Stamps. Or Scotch plaid for that matter.

6 Likes

You might want to get Geraldo Rivera for the opening of that safe. He needs a win.

4 Likes

Welcome

4 Likes

I have dialed open a few, but it’s not quite like in the movies. There are a lot of different locks on those vaults. Send me some pics of it and I’ll see what I can come up with. My son is headed up to Kentucky in a few weeks and he would LOVE to go open that for you.

7 Likes

That would be awesome!! Will do… But I am in Indiana.

5 Likes

Welcome to the forums, Mike

4 Likes

Welcome

4 Likes

@safcrkr

Welcome to the Full30 Forum.

So, what about gun safes? Are they more difficult to get into than bank safes, or less so? So many gun owners rely on gun safes to protect their firearms, I am just wondering how safe they really are? Thanks.

4 Likes

Well John,
That’s like asking is water better than water. In reality, most of the large ornate bank vaults of the past were there as a symbol of security for the bank. That doesn’t mean they weren’t secure. Safes come in various degrees of security from both fire and burglary. That applies to gun safes as well. Most of what you see at the big box stores are units specially made for then so they can sell them cheap. Do a little research on safe ratings and you will find out a lot. Gun safes come from unrated to B to RSC and all the way up to TL30X6. Bottom line is, you get what you pay for.
Mike

8 Likes

@safcrkr

Thanks for the info, Mike. So, the top of the line would be the TL30X6 rated safes?

And, does size or weight of the safe make a big difference, or is it all in the design?

2 Likes

John,

Weight is a good indicator, but not everything. I know of some TL15 and TL30 gun safes, but not the X6, which means all six sides are rated. The lightest TL15 I know about is about 2300 lbs… For the most part, unless you have a really expensive collection, and no alarm where the safe is, some other safes might be enough. Some that are not TL15 rated have a 1/2" plate door and a thick body with a 2 hr fire rating. Some of those cost about 2/3 of what a TL15 would cost. The TL starts at about 6k. Of course, if you just want the best, you can spend up to 28k.

3 Likes

@safcrkr

Thanks for the informative advice. Clearly, I have a lot to learn about gun safes.

2 Likes