New Online Sales Taxes

FYI:

I placed an order at PSA yesterday and was charged sales tax for the first time. I sent an email seeking clarification and received this response:

“The decision in South Dakota v. Wayfair, Inc., et al, overturned prior Supreme Court precedent in Quill Corp. v. North Dakota, which previously required retailers to have a physical presence in a state beyond merely shipping goods in order to require a retailer to collect and remit sales taxes from those in-state customers. Going forward, PSA will be collecting and remitting sales tax in those states which require such.”

I am sure that other major retailers will start applying sales tax soon, if they haven’t already. It was fun while it lasted.

This doesn’t affect every state. Here is a link showing the affected states:

https://palmettostatearmory.com/customer-service#SpecialTaxNotices

Seen it Utah with Amazon as well.
I’m afraid the Tax Free Internet is slowly being chipped away at.

You can just figure that the government will figure out any/all ways to collect more taxes as they (apparently), can never have enough money to spend!

In Texas as I understood it, you were always supposed to submit the sales tax to the state on all online purchases that were not collected by the retailer. I don’t know of anyone who has done this, but that was the basis of the original decision (now reversed). I certainly may have remembered incorrectly though.