New pistol build

I am wanting to get a pistol/truck gun but am having a hard time choosing a caliber. I would preferably like to get something with an 8.5-9.5 inch barrel. Doesnt matter to me if it is DI or Gas Piston. Given those parameters what caliber would you choose? I’m not a big fan of 5.56 at that length. Considering 6.8 SPC II, 6.5 Grendel, 300 bo (not a huge fan due to bad accuracy) 7.62x39. Anything else you think I should consider?

7 Likes

How far are you realistically wanting to shoot with this gun?

4 Likes

I know @98Z has a 12.5 inch 6.5 Grendel that can repeatedly hit 850 yds. I don’t know what the decrease in barrel length would do for accuracy or velocity.
Have you considered a pistol caliber such as 9mm or 45acp?

8 Likes

^ Fixed. :cowboy_hat_face:

5 Likes

I only really only care about shooting out to 250. I realize that the Grendle is capable of much more…but this is a truck gun for short range and cqb. And no, not interested in a pistol caliber carbine. It would be nice to know that I could shoot out further with it…but it isnt at all a requirement. Also taking into account ammunition costs and availability as well as potential of supressability at that short barrel length. Oh, and I would also like to stay at or above 2000fps at the muzzle. Dont think 7.62x29 hits that.

5 Likes

Here are the reported velocities through various 6.5 Grendel barrels down to 11.5 inches. You would need to drop the velocity a little more with a shorter barrel.

6 Likes

I cannot verify these numbers either, but this is for the 6.8 SPC.

SSA 2nd generation standard pressure 115 gr SMK OTM w/cannelure, 5 shot averages:
20” barrel: ave vel = 2561 fps; 10 fps extreme spread
16” barrel: ave vel = 2525 fps; 18 fps extreme spread – lost 36 fps from 20"
12.5” barrel: ave vel = 2384 fps; 12 fps extreme spread – lost 141 fps from 16"
10” barrel: ave vel = 2265 fps; 27 fps extreme spread – lost 119 fps from 12.5"
7.5” barrel: ave vel = 2035 fps; 27 fps extreme spread – lost 230 fps from 10"

5 Likes

Welcome back, made it just in time, you need some help :laughing:

How is 250 a goal with such a short barrel and why expect it out of a truck gun which I personally deem as a defensive weapon nomenclature

if your truck is driveable and your target is out 250 I’d say either get in (closer), or out (haul ass) of the fight :grin:

5 Likes

I was thinking the same thing. Perhaps he means 250 feet…or inches? :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

Just joking. :wink:

Good to see you back in the forum.

5 Likes

:joy::joy: sorry…I mean 100 or so. For some reason I had 9 Hole Reviews in my head starting at 250. Anyway, I can only see to 100 with an un-magnified optic, and that’s on a good day. So that’s about max.

I have already looked at the 6.8 SPC II charts because I was looking at the LWRCI 6.8 pistol and I know that is approx 2100 ft/second at the muzzle from theirb8 inch barrel. If memory serves correctly doesnt it take approximately 2200 fps to get hydrostatic damage? So anyway, considering SPC isnt quite there I was wondering if Grendel would be or if another round would do it.

4 Likes

Looking at the charts you posted it appears as if 6.5 and 6.8 have similar velocities out of the shorter barrel lengths.

3 Likes

In the Grendel, you can run Nosler 129gr Accubond Long Range ammo. It frags down to 1300fps. That will extend your Grendel range even more, just with that. No other caliber that you listed is gonna come close to Grendel, and what it can provide as a truck gun. 6.8 has it by a hair,if all you’re doing is clearing rooms, but 6.8 takes a serious nosedive if you try torun it longer ranges. Grendel can do the short work, and still run long, even from a short gun.

Why are you looking at a 7~9" barrel as the goal? Only reason I’d want something that short is if I couldn’t get OUT of the vehicle, and had to shoot from inside it. That’s where barrels that short really shine - movement inside the vehicle.

For a “truck gun” that was gonna be short, I wouldn’t want anything under 12.5".

5 Likes

Well, that was the idea. Something that could be shot out of the truck, used in tight quarters or be put in a backpack. I’m not necessarily married to the idea, but I already have a 16 inch 5.56 gun and I dont want to buy a pistol, supress it and end up right back at the same length as the 16". I probably wont go above 10.5 however as, at that point, I could shoot 5.56 and not have to branch out into a new caliber.

I am, of course, open to suggestions…that’s why im here. And thanks for the response 98Z!

4 Likes

I like my 12" Grendel. Took a doe with it at almost 200yds last fall. She took 3 steps. 300bo w/8" barrel is in the Jeep almost all the time. That’s my truck gun.

5 Likes

300 blackout subsonic and canned. 230gr going 1000fps, is like a 45ACP at 100 yards, and 30 in the mag. Sure wish my 45 could do that.
It is the best round for short barrels, it was made for them

4 Likes

Well, LWRCI has a .45 PDW which can do all that. I’m not interested in pistol caliber or equivalent personally.

4 Likes

A quick search on ammoseek.com shows Grendel ammo can be had for as little as 25¢ a round for steel case Wolf. SPC ammo is 57¢ a round for S&B unless you want some ammo of unknown weight and brand for 28¢ a round.

3 Likes

Yep…definitely economical to shoot compared to some. I wonder what kind of accuracy results the Russians are getting out of the AK-12 in 6.5 grendel?

4 Likes

I shot Hornady match in my Grendel before the boat tragedy struck. It is about 80¢ per round.

6 Likes

I need to get myself a cheap boat to make my loss more credible.

6 Likes