New pistol build

Both my grendels shoot the steel wolf at about 1 1/2 moa. Not bad at all. Hornady black with elds about 3/4 moa.

6 Likes

Fun fact, that particular Wolf ammo is a unicorn. It somehow is the best cartridge they load and better than as you point out some usually very good and very reliable ammo. If I can ever find a 6.5G rifle at the bottom of the ocean I’m buying that particular cartridge in bulk.

4 Likes

The wolf has a undersize projectile. That’s inch and a half at 100yds . Most other factory ammo shoots better groups but is about a buck a round. Wolf $125.00 for 500 rounds

6 Likes

I plan on doing some more serious ammo testing if I can get a hold of that rifle. :boat:

5 Likes

Just ask ArmedEyeDoc where his local lake is located and I’m sure you could do some diving and find a y.6 Grendle rifle.

5 Likes

300BO was designed for short barrels and is the only round out of the ones you mentioned that the short barrel wont hurt it’s velocity. If you choose the BO, you’ll also have the choice of light and fast or if you have a suppressor, heavy and slow. On a AR under 12 inches, I would go 300BO every time.

4 Likes

Sir, reread the post. 300 Blackout is a rifle cartridge, It hits LIKE a 45ACP, only at 100 yards, instead of the 45, which is 25 yards.

4 Likes

I know 300 BO is a rifle cartridge and have done a lot of looking into it. I said “equivalent” because it does not hit much harder than a 45 when subsonic. It does have better ballistics above 9 inches despite common belief, so it’s not entirely true that it doesnt lose velocity in short barrels. The other big concern is that it seems to.be VERY twist/grain sensitive when it comes to accuracy. Watching MrGunsandGear shoot his 8 inch DD 300 vs MilitaryArmsChannel 300 5.5 inch Sig Rattler, the Sig was much more accurate, which, if nothing else, is counterintuative. It just seems to me that 6.5 or 6.8 give better results overall. I mean, Alexander Arms is offering a 6.5 Grendel Pistol in an 11 inch barrel. So I may be way off base looking for 9 or 10, but it doesnt seem like it would just fall off the face of the earth losing 1 inch. BTW
Alexander Arms have ballistics charts for multiple different loads out of their 11 inch barrel and they are pretty impressive. I have an email in to them to see if they have any info for barrels shorter than 11 inches.

4 Likes

The Grendel loses between 25-50fps per inch of barrel. This is what the guys on the Grendel forum have figured out.

6 Likes

I seriously cannot agree with this more!

5 Likes

The 300 blackout subsonic the optimum barrel according to AAC is 9.5 inches.
Mrs McGraw’s is a 10.5 used for subsonic only at 100 yards its 230gr pill delivers the same kinetic energy as a 45ACP at 25 ft.
My barrel is 16.5 with a 1/12 twist, spins the 110gr or 125gr varmint grenades @ 2400fps at the muzzle, which pulverizes bone at 100 yards. Thats is the best I can get out of a 300 blackout cartridge.
Between the 10.5 barrel and the 15 inch barrel I had to go small bullet weight to get acceptable kinetic energy dump at distance.

We have Smith Ent. flash hiders on both. The subsonic burns all of its powder and the flash hider does not get any powder to snuff out. We use rifle powder in it.
The 16 inch supersonic barrel uses pistol powder, and should not flame, but we have seen a tad puff come out of the flash hider. But then Im pushing those little darlings hella fast.

So even with different powders, both barrels consume all of the powder.

3 Likes

Well, it seems as if the general opinion is that a pistol in 6.5 Grendel isnt a great idea. The only production pistol I can find shorter than the PSA 12.5 inch is Alexander Arms 11 inch pistol. And i cant find any data below that. Sooooo
it seems as if the search for a sub 10 inch pistol not in 5.56, .300 BO or a PCC goes on. Thanks for everyone’s input.

3 Likes

I’m getting 2250fps out of 130 gr Hornady and 2430fps 90gr federal out of my 12in Grendel pistol. 65grendel.com has lots of info and 12in group buy barrels at the moment. Build you an upper.

3 Likes