New report on Sigs m18/m17 platform

Looks to be improving.

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2019/02/11/sig-sauers-m18-reliable/

"The US Army selected SIG Sauer’s Modular Handgun System entry back in 2017 and since then the full-size sidearm has begun to reach active units. Some controversy regarding reliability initially surrounded the XM17 but a recent report from the Director of Operational Testing and Evaluation confirms these issues have now been addressed.

The recently published annual report from the Director of Operational Testing and Evaluation (DOT&E) Annual Report confirms the M17 and M18’s reliability performance. The report notes that “the MHS experienced a large number of stoppages in early developmental testing with ball ammunition”, however, it seems this issue has now been addressed by a team of both government and SIG Sauer personnel. To ensure reliable feeding with both the Army’s new 147 grain XM1153 jacketed hollow point round and 115 grain XM1152 ball ammunition a number of changes were made to the magazine spring, magazine follower, slide geometry, and some of the pistol’s internal components. The report concludes that “ the XM17 and the XM18 are operationally effective and operationally suitable with jacketed hollow point ammunition.

Examining the data provided in the DOT&E report it appears that both pistols have improved function with both types of ammunition but that the XM18 is now superior to the XM17 in terms of reliability with the compact pistol improving more between the first and second product verification tests (PVT). The XM17’s reliability with XM1152 Ball has improved significantly, but its round count before a failure decreased from 7,009 to 6,349. With XM1153 JHP rounds the XM17’s reliability has decreased with the mean number of rounds before a stoppage decreasing from 2,709 to 1,880. Similarly, the mean round count before failure with the JHP round has fallen from 15,501 to 10,321. It should be noted, however, that while performance with JHP has decreased it is still superior to XM1152 Ball and reliability with both ammunition types falls well within the army’s reliability requirements of firing 5,000 rounds before a failure.

SIG Sauer celebrated the DOT&E report and the positive results of recent Lot Acceptance Testing with a press release. During a round of acceptance testing, 12,000 rounds were put through three M18s without a single stoppage. SIG Sauer confirmed that in addition to the endurance test the M18 also “ passed a parts interchange test, met all of the stringent accuracy and dispersion requirements, was tested for firing pin indent and trigger pull measurements to ensure consistency, and conformed to all workmanship standards.

4 Likes

In some areas…but still, it only took a complete re-engineering of the gun to make it a little better:

a number of changes were made to the magazine spring, magazine follower, slide geometry, and some of the pistol’s internal components. The report concludes that “ the XM17 and the XM18 are operationally effective and operationally suitable with jacketed hollow point ammunition.

Totally unacceptable fielding such a piece of junk with these issues in my opinion. But then again, that’s Sig. Throw out a piece of crap and let the customer keep sending it back until they’re tired of paying the $50 overnight shipping fees.

2 Likes

I agree about Sig not having any real QC standards. They use customers as guinea pigs.

To be fair though the m1911 and Beretta m9 both had issues that needed addressed right out of the gate. Military guns seem to be the " just good enough" opton from the lowest bidder.

Sigs had a few years in sure they are getting close here but I still dont trust them.

2 Likes

I agree…and while I really hate the garbage production company that Sig has become, their older steel frame guns were solid. You can’t beat some of the older P220s, P226, P229 pistols…they earned Sig a reputation that unfortunately they rely on to now sell junk to an unsuspecting customer who thinks they still make that kind of quality.

2 Likes

The design on the p320 is neat but 2 out of 6 of mine were garbage. Those numbers are not reassuring. The good thing about it being selected by the military is they will work any kinks though. The m16 had a worse start and it turned out to be a great firearm after the kinks were worked out.

2 Likes

Should I sell mine?

3 Likes

Does it work? Put 1k rounds threw it then break it down and see how it looks? If good, keep it. They are good shooters.

3 Likes

That happened long ago

3 Likes

If you got a good one, keep it…it’s a three percenter! Lol

3 Likes

I got 320’s, i’m just givin Joe a hard time. it’s what I do. :rofl:

3 Likes

That’s funny. I would take a new P220 over an older one all day long. The internal extractors made for hard cleaning and some very undesirable extractions.

I had a P220 ST that had the older extractor and sold it for cheap because of extraction issues.

3 Likes

Sig can only be beat by H&K in my opinion. If you talk trash on sig you’re out of your mind. I personally like pistols with a hammer so guns like this one I don’t mess with and don’t know much about. But I have a P220 elite and a P229 that I have no issues with and love.

3 Likes

QC is shit on newer Sigs. My Sig p226 with the “made in Germany” stamp was 10x the gun of any newer Sig p226. Thing had over 20k with no real issues outside of a mag and recoil spring. My American one spent more time going back to Sig then shooting. Most hardcore Sig guys feel the same way.

3 Likes

Sig USA is shit, Sigs foothold in Europe is what made Sig legendary. You dont hear of very many issues out of them.

3 Likes

To be more specific, QC and finish is shit on newer Sigs. Raw materials are on par if not slightly better (on a good one). Get that Cohen fag out of the top seat and Sig USA would be great again. He did the same to Kimber, the QC issues were all during his reign. Just look it up. Since Cohen Sigs QC is bare minimum and shoddy.

3 Likes

Kinda like the 1911’s ehh?

2 Likes

Depends on the 1911 brand/model. Taurus is not the same as Dan Wesson.

2 Likes

2 Likes

Don’t get the reference. I can go over materials used, specs and overall build quality if you would like?

With 1911s there are a whole lot of manufacturers and brands. With Sigs there is not.

2 Likes

Yer crawfishin (southern slang) goin backward. in other threads all 1911’s are dinosaurs.

3 Likes