New rifle round Hornady 300 PRC

https://www.ballisticmag.com/2018/10/16/hornady-300-prc-cartridge-first-look/

7 Likes

Thanks for the info on 300 PRC, SAK67.

Looks like a great sniper round, or for us civilians, great target round for 1,000 yard shooting.

However, I think I will continue to focus on lower power/lower recoil, for such shooting since I would just be target shooting. The 6.5 Creedmoor and .243 Winchester, are my 2 current favorites under consideration.

3 Likes

http://soldiersystems.net/2018/12/12/hornady-to-supply-300-prc-ammunition-to-us-dod/

1 Like

That sounds great. Sounds like Hornady has seen the success of the 6.5 Creedmoor and developed a similarly-natured 30, which I’d be very happy to try out. The only bolt gun I own is a 6.5, and even though it has claimed an elk, I wouldn’t mind pushing a little more weight downrange, if it acted like the 6.5 does.

2 Likes

Off topic, 6.5 Creedmoor vs 6.5 Grendel. I’m interested to know what the real world difference is, not what’s on paper.

Any takers?

As for the new .300 Hornady, I’m liking what I’m reading about it.

3 Likes

The creedmore is a much larger projectile. The Grendel is a bit larger than a 5.56, whereas the creedmore is like a .308 size.

2 Likes

I knew that, I was more asking about ballistic performance; range vs drop. I’m curious to hear from those who’ve used both in the field. I’m interested in both cartridges.

2 Likes

From my understanding, the Grendel is a gas gun varient of 6.5mm family. Derived from the 7.62x39 case, I would expect you to get less velocity and pressure then a 6.5x47L and you would be limited to the lighter 6.5mm projectiles. You’d be unlikely to choose it with it in a bolt gun given the array of choices for 6.5mm (.260Rem, 6.5CM, 6.5x55 Swede…etc).

I think it’s in service with Serbia or one of those countries in that Yugoslavian region.

2 Likes

Thanks mate, this is exactly some of the info I was craving. This explains a lot when I’m wasting time looking at various firearms on why some platforms and such have more than the other, etc etc etc.

2 Likes

There is bit of information around. I have .260Rem in a Tikka action and it’s a wonderful caliber. Very versatile but can take some fiddling with loads, however it’s rewarding once you get it humming. That said, my shooting is all paper and some PSR stuff.

When you say ‘real world’ are you talking hunting?

Not specifically. More really wanted to know about the travel and trajectory of the projectile in various real world conditions (environment factors, etc).