New shotgun

Don’t know what category to put this in so I’ll just drop it here. I’m looking into getting my daughter a shotgun for skeet shooting. Was originally wanting a 20ga but 12ga just seems more practical. What are recommendations? I don’t want a cheap piece of crap but I don’t want to spend a fortune either. Something around $600 maybe.

4 Likes

You are looking at a double barrel (SxS or O/U) or an autoloader. Skeet requires 2 shots close together.

4 Likes

I’m thinking auto for a beginner.

3 Likes

Benelli Nova
Wife shoots skeet with one and its amazing
Remington 1100 is also a good one.
For something a little cheaper but, depends on your local rules you could also go with a MKA 1919.

2 Likes

Double barrel guns, either side by side or over and under get pricey.
Mostly due to the need for both barrels to hit the same place.
Semi autos are less expensive, especially used ones.
My preference has always been the Remington 1100.
They are a straight forward and simple design, pretty much perfected a long time ago.
In addition to buying her the gun, spend some more on a genuine instructor.
Missing is no fun and probably the main cause for new shooters to give up and quit.
Just a thought.

3 Likes

the wife wants this one - a 20ga magazine fed Self Loading Shotgun
Type/Action: Semi-Auto, Gas Operated
Calibre : 20GA

• Capacity : Detachable Box Magazine: 2x 5rd Magazines
  • Barrel : 20” Barrel
  • Chokes: 5 Chokes (F,IM,M,IC,SK)

Included:

• Case: Hard Polymer Case
  • Documents: Manual, Warranty Card
  • Accessories: Removable Carry Handle, Flip Up Sights, 2x 5rd Magazines , 1x 2rd Magazine, Maintenance Oil, Sling, Cleaning kit, safety glasses, earplugs
4 Likes

Funny, I’ve been looking at those for myself. I don’t know how reliable they are though.

4 Likes

Second one to recommend the Rem 1100. I need to go take a look at those.

4 Likes

there is also a 12 ga FD12
and it is also larger
comes with two gas rings for either heavy or light loads and are quite good after about a 200 heavy load break in
the biggest benefit is close quarter manipulation (includes heavy bush) and the only draw back is unlearning the convention shotgun experience.

4 Likes

Not sure how she would do with a pump. I would have to borrow one to see if she could get back on target with that.

Just looked at some 1100s… those things are pricey… $700 and up, used. Gotta think about this. Lol

3 Likes

You need to take her shotgun shopping. How a shotgun fits the shooter has a lot to do with her being able to hit targets. If she is small in stature she might need a youth model. Find what fits her then look for a used one. 1100 is a good gun. The Mossberg semiautos are good too.

7 Likes

My wife likes a 20 gauge 1100. I use the 870 pumps and Browning Citori mainly.

4 Likes

TriStar makes some very nice semi’s at great prices, I have a Magnum version semi-auto that shoots 3.5’s, I have used it for 3 year Goose and Duck hunting, it has taken a beating and has yet to malfunction…wet, dirty and has been cleaned maybe twice…

6 Likes

No need to buy a new remington 1100.
Plenty of good used ones out there.
All the ones I have had were all used ones, bought for a fraction of the new price.
The last one was $300.
Much of the price even for a used gun is the stock.
Fancy wood, plain wood, or synthetic are a variable.

5 Likes

P.S.
The different clay bird games require slightly different style shotguns.
For example, the stock on a trap gun is different than for skeet.
And sporting clay versions use yet a different style.
So it pays to get the correct version for the game she will be pursuing.
Now I’m done with my unsolicited advice.

4 Likes

Stoeger makes a very reliable (in my experience) side-by-side, double trigger, shotgun with fixed chokes (check their website to confirm the chokes).

I have taken mine (in 12 gauge) sporting clay shooting several times. You will probably want to add a recoil pad (limbsaver can be bought cheap and removed by hand anytime you want).

Figure a price of around $450 to $500.

5 Likes

Also recommend a Remington 1100. I love mine (it’s a 20ga).

5 Likes

Actually, could you explain that in a bit more detail? I don’t know a lot about any of that. She saw some guys shooting skeet and thought she wouldlike to try it out.

3 Likes

Damn, I might have to get myself one of those

4 Likes

There are many options, I’d try to shoot a couple before committing!!

3 Likes