Night vision or Thermal?

So I’m looking into either getting an NVG or a thermal scope. I have next to no experience in these. The only night vision I have operated is on my TrackingPoint gun and it’s gen 2. I want something that I can use to hunt coyotes but I want it to be versatile too. I was wondering if anyone has experience in these items and if anyone can answer these questions maybe.

Can you shoot accurately looking through NVG’s or would a NV scope be better?

Does the muzzle flash blind you when you shoot with NVG’s?

I know thermal can see through smoke, dust storms and things of that nature but how far can you see with them?

How far can you see with gen 3 NV?

Can any of them handle the recoil of a 45-70?

Any help would be appreciated

7 Likes

Scope for hunting, Goggles for battle.
Can you shoot accurately looking through NVG’s or would a NV scope be better? - With the right optics NVGs are fine.
Muzzle flash with NVG’s- yes and no, newer stuff is immune to this mostly… the Gen1 stuff can be rough.
Thermals depend entirely on environmentals its impossible to give set range.
gen 3 NV - several hundreds of yards conditions depending.
45-70 neutered commercial grade? or full power cartridge?

6 Likes

Can you shoot with goggles accurately? And would a Trijicon acog site work with them or would the illuminator be too bright?

3 Likes

Full power.

2 Likes

Contact the manufacturing company… Most of the thermals are made for high powered rifles and some of the civi rifle mounted NV stuff is also BUT, rarely do they indicate full ranges of specific tolerances.

3 Likes

Would you go with NV or Thermal?

2 Likes

I have both. I hunt hogs with Thermals I use NV for my Tactical setup.

4 Likes

What brands do you have if you don’t mind me asking

3 Likes

And does the night vision work with the Trijicon ACOG or is the illuminated arrow too bright for it?

2 Likes

Trijicon ACOG -Your going to get bloom off of it in my experience. You have to mount NV in front of the optic to avoid this.
My thermal is ATN X-Sight II
NVGS- NVG7-HPT Gen 3 Goggles

4 Likes

What do you think about the PVS 14’s? I have seen a lot about these but don’t really know how they compare to other goggles.

2 Likes

They are good goggles, I went with the ones I have because they are cheaper and do the same basic job. Unless you are a full time operator or plan to be in a warzone for the next 4 years I probably would avoid going over 1.5k on NVG’s.

3 Likes

Well @Sarge4206th you’ve been a great help. I may have more questions later. I’m gonna do a bit more research.

I want both too but I think I’ll go with the NV’s first. Looks like they’re better for night movement. I really want those thermals though but I think it may be better to get something that shows a bit more depth for night hikes. But damn I like that thermal image lol… this will be a hard choice

2 Likes

you are welcome sir. Must gun guys don’t have a lot of experience with NVG’s. Prior service or tactical guys typically are better targets for those questions so im glad to help out. NVG’s for night hikes are probably your best bet and don’t go below Gen 3. You can see a demonstration of the different generations online.
Here is a nice video on the difference between NVG and thermals.

6 Likes

That’s a good video. I also want to be able to shoot while using it and I carry my 45-70 the most (I hike in bear country). But my 45-70 has a scope and I worry I won’t be able to line an NVG up with the scope. The thermal I was researching is a scope and I wouldn’t be able to look through it all the time but would be great for acquiring the target. I may just end up getting both.

3 Likes

budget NV gear tends to be IR (infrared) and also use a active illumination source, where the thermo either civy or military are passive (no active illumination source other than what you are looking at)
ATN makes two very nice choices
ATN X-sight 4k pro

this is the Smart Ultra HD Day/Night sight
and
ATN Thor 4

Smart HD Thermo scope

4 Likes

Do you know what kind of recoil those can handle?

3 Likes

no mention in the warranty about calibre restrictions and for a scope at less than $800 to break you into the NV world…
I recall someone mounting one on a Barrett but can’t find any link

1 Like

Personally I think I want to go to a bit higher end. When I buy cheaper things I always think to myself “shoulda saved longer and got the nicer one”.

4 Likes

Lots of folks are using the ATN scopes in NV and Thermal. There is a Facebook group for ATN users. I have the 1st gen ATN digital NV scope and it does ok. Also works In the daylight. If you get the NV get a better infrared light. The one that comes with the scopes is just ok NOT great.

4 Likes