Not really a restoration...more like a rescue

Did a nice trade the other day and ended up with a very nice numbers matching Mosin 91/59…and also this: (kind of)

That’s actually someone else’s picture, but pretty much what I acquired with the Mosin.
A horrific Bubba SKS.
Combat exchange folding stock, POS receiver cover (canted) optic mount with a cheap red dot, some ridiculously cheap garbage 30 round magazine, and missing the bayonet of course.

(Stripped junk)

All that Bubba shit on a pretty decent RUSSIAN SKS. Why Bubba Why?

Now, because Bubba absolutely had to have his $30 tactical optic on his rifle, he canned the original dust cover that of course would have had the date and Arsenal stamp on it, so it took quite a bit of research to figure out what year this old girl is. After a few hours of research I was able to finally determine that it is a late 1951 Tula that was refurbished at the Ishevsk arsenal…no idea what year the refurb occured.

So today I cleaned her up, found an unmarked original dust cover, (took me a few hours to properly fit the cover to this rifle…lots of hand filing and test fitting) pulled out a customized original stock I got with a different SKS, replaced the shit magazine with an original Russian one I had laying around and voila:

I plan to continue the process the best that I can. Find a Russian stock, an original blade bayonet, and hopefully eventually a dust cover with 1951 and the Tula star on the top. I absolutely hate seeing guys do this type of stuff to a classic rifle (sigh) if I could rescue them all, I would :sunglasses:

11 Likes

Nice work!

9 Likes

Thank you!

9 Likes

Very nicely done sir. :sunglasses:

Unfortunately, for every rifle we rescue, there’s a Bubba out there crafting another.

8 Likes

but it is not chinese -

5 Likes

Nice! May have to see if it can find its way my direction…
:grin:
Thanks for the link!

5 Likes

What flavor is it?

4 Likes

I have the same question. The photos are blurry and I’m no expert on proof marks. Where’s Ian from Forgotten Weapons? :wink:

5 Likes

if it is a Chinese one, it would be worth a lot - the Chinese used a three sided spike. The only bladed version would be Russian that were accepted prior to them making their own

5 Likes

Markings look fairly close to what is on my other Russian SKS (even though they’re blurred) so I’m assuming it is Russian

2 Likes