Obligatory List of SHTF Supplies

Well, since Civil War, economic collapse, pandemic, Nuclear/chemical/biological/cyber terrorism, blackout, major earthquake, asteroid, and/or xenomorph ovipositor in anal cavity are just around the corner, now might be a good time to scare each other into spending wads of money on last minute supplies.

Once the sheeple start to panic, it’s too late. We’re ALL guaranteed to have forgotten at least something that we’ll kick ourselves about during the crisis. So, what will your wife and/or kids hate you for not having? What will you have to put everyone in danger by bartering for? What will you be forced to risk snipers, gangs, druggies, road blocks, starving dogs, etc. to gather (that you can have delivered to your door today)? What will you run out of first?

List of possible items to get started:

Universal gun cleaning kit
AM/FM/Weather radios
sand bags
Binoculars
Forest axe, hatchet
Lanterns, oil/wicks
Bulk emergency candles
Light stick shields, light sticks
headlamps
crank light
large stockpile of batteries
cook stove with cookware
Fire extinguishers
Bear spray canister
wool blankets
hygiene kit, wet wipes, no rinse wash
“Solar” shower bag
Bath soap
Antibacterial hand wipes
Toothbrushes, toothpaste, flossing picks
Antifungal and baby powder
Shaving cream, razors
Laundry detergent
Dish detergent
Camp toilet, bucket with toilet chemicals/supplies
disinfecting wipes, hair/body soap, liquid hand soap, alcohol sanitizer
contractor bags (42 gal., 3 mil)
contractor bags, woven (7 mil)
5 gallon buckets with laundry supplies
Electrostatic carpet/floor sweeper

6 Likes

Well hell, i’m gonna die.

7 Likes

While food can be rotated, and other items can sit indefinitely, its the meds I have a problem with. I don’t normally use any meds, creams or ointments. I have most of what is on the list, all of which have expired. How do you get around this issue? I know many are good after expiration, but how do I go about keeping things fresh when I never use any of this stuff, without simply throwing it all out and buying it all again?

6 Likes

:laughing: Of course not! You’ll just be REALLLLY uncomfortable for a while.

4 Likes

I store stuff in the coolest and darkest place possible. If it’s in tablet form, it’s probably good for well over a decade. If it’s a cream or ointment, it will go bad or stop working sooner. But, it’s not terribly expensive (relatively) to replace those items every so many years, depending on conditions/budget/threat-level. You can find stuff on the web about the Federal Shelf Life Extension Program.

If you store items that are most in need of rotation in one place or container, that will make it easier later. Also good to put tape on things with date purchased written on it.

5 Likes

Impressive! As for medications, see

Also good is a nurse’s guide, such as

6 Likes

Also, for anyone needing food grade buckets for free, ask the people at the deli/bakery at your local grocery store. All their frostings for cakes and other foods come in these buckets, they are usually 3 or 5 gallons. They usually throw them out and will give them to you if asked. I use these for a lot of food storage (even if they don’t need to be food grade buckets) and seal things in mylar bags and keep in these buckets.

5 Likes

GREAT advice. Cheap is good!

Also, if somebody has beat you to it, then wait for them to show up for the next batch of buckets. Then, follow them home. Now, you know who has stockpiles of goods when SHTF.
:smirk:

5 Likes

coffee filters - used to make coffee and filter water
prepper had granulated chlorine but you should also in include liquid (containers are reusable)
didn’t notice cheesecloth (or linen like cloth) - once you have purified the water in a open container you cover and the chlorine will off gas and the water will just taste better.

4 Likes

you can do the same with a little bit of “work”, cotton cord, newspaper and paraffin.
place a length of cord in newspaper and start rolling the paper around it tight (the tighter the better), you can roll it to what ever size you want (candle to huge log depending on the amount of news paper.
Tie the “log” together and than soak it in hot paraffin. Remove when it will not soak any more and allow to cool. Cut into chunks or leave as a “log” and you have a waterproof fuel / fire starter. Can also be done with individual paper egg cartons (than cut up, you just put the kindling in the “cup”).

4 Likes

I’m going to try that.

1 Like

tighter the better

2 Likes

I plan on enslaving people , maybe open a bar & brothel that is kind of the center of my town. Every 3 months there will be a gladiator slave fights and the winner gets freed and a place in my militia ,if they want. This will be known as the Republic of Joe.

4 Likes

Sounds more like Bartertown

3 Likes

I am Neagan …we are all Neagan.

3 Likes

I’ve never seen that show
But I thought your plan was to lift a smart car and get the hell out of dodge?

2 Likes

White cotton rope will work for the center?

1 Like

Plans changed, I feel shtf is an entrepreneur’s game, tbh.

2 Likes

4 Likes

Holy crap, I didnt think anyone here would get that.

2 Likes