Off the deep end with reloading

I decided to start reloading and I dove off the deep end. This is a big commitment. I sure hope I enjoy this new hobby. It’s not so much a financial commitment, although that’s part of it. I bought a new RCBS Turret Press and the dies and equipment to reload 45 Colt and 38 special. If I don’t like this hobby I could sell the reloading press. The commitment is more about my new reloading room. I had a spare bedroom. I removed the bed and took it to the dump. I tore out the carpet and installed hard flooring. Then I built a reloading bench in this room. That was the commitment. There’s no turning back. I brought each board into the room to build this bench. It can not be removed. If I must remove the bench it must be cut into pieces, not simply dissembled.
I stained the bench and applied four coats of polyurethane.
I welded up mounts for a light over my bench.

Now whenever anyone comes to visit me they’ll be sleeping on the floor. I do have an air mattress.

16 Likes

You’ll make better accommodations if they can reload?

:grin: :grin:

Looks great!

9 Likes

Nice! And it could be multi-use. You can put a fly tying vice there and store the materials under the table!

9 Likes

Nice setup.

7 Likes

A good start

8 Likes

Very nice

7 Likes

Now that you’re commited, there looks to be plenty of room left for a second bench, a powder cabinet and additional storage shelves.

Looks good.

7 Likes

Time for a good shop stool. Don’t want to look like you’re at the kids table attempting to reload from that chair.

5 Likes

This is about loading, not unloading :grin:

4 Likes

So, where’s your progressive press?
I, too, started with a turret, but quickly bought a progressive.
No doubt you will too.

4 Likes

Nice setup @DurangoDave. You will enjoy reloading. Actually, I find it to be very relaxing, which I never expected initially. I believe that the slow repetitive movements have a calming effect on the mind. Having a dedicated quiet room is nice too!

Shhh. :shushing_face: He’s still a noob. He needs to become a master at capturing the fly with chopsticks first. He’ll get there soon.

DanielSan

5 Likes

Don’t say that. I got a turret press as a middle of the road approach. I thought I’d want to upgrade a single stage press soon but I hope the turret will last. I may be able to turn out more cartridges with a progressive but I think I can do plenty with the turret and I think quality control will be better.

6 Likes

You will never outgrow a turret. I have a Dillon progressive when I reload higher volumes, but I still use the turret for smaller runs and experimental loads. They definitely compliment each other.

4 Likes

All depends on volume too. I started with a single stage, went to a turret, and then back to single. I don’t volume load for anything. I consider everything I do a “precision” hand load and only use it for doing defensive handgun rounds and my “precision” hunting cartridges.

6 Likes

your set up good for 45 and 38. I would have recommended a progressive but the turret will be fine. I run a Dillon 650 and 2 rock chuckers, and believe it or not, bought the progressive back about 1997 +/- and the 2 single stages in the last 3 years. Need a case cleaning system, I use both vibratory cleaner and a liquid/ pin tumbler. For starters I recommend the frankford set up, good price, seperator not as nice as the dillon (I have both) but if you upgrade to a liquid/ steel pin tumbler works great for that.
https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/2124184804?pid=414369&utm_medium=shopping&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=Reloading+-+Metallic+Reloading+Equipment+(Not+Presses)&utm_content=414369&cm_mmc=pf_ci_google--Reloading±+Metallic+Reloading+Equipment+(Not+Presses)--Frankford+Arsenal-_-414369&gclid=CjwKCAiA3abwBRBqEiwAKwICAxD4sp24vog6DmNosOdgtBmAnKUIg_Q3EOPPP6SM8g4vYZz7jr1PDRoC3XMQAvD_BwE

I like corn cob “Grit-o-Cob” media with Losso polish, everyone will tell you something different, all good. I would recommend tightgroup powder for starters, ideal in both 45 and 38. Don’t waste a lot of money on bullets, Berrey’s or X-tream copper plated 230gr round nose for the 45, any 125-158 lead or copper plated bullet will shoot well out of (I am assuming ) a revolver
Keep a log!
I’ve been reloading for forever, 22 hornet to 45-70, and like you started with 45 and 38.
Any questions feel free to ask!
AL
Edit: I see you said 45 Colt, not ACP. I use tightgroup in that also, but if strictly revolvers and lead Trailboss gives a very comfortable load, or if you are shooting out of a Ruger or similar and want +P AA#7 or AA#9, or really full blow H110 with jacketed bullets, 250 gr is an ideal weight

6 Likes

Thanks Al. I have a Hornady Case Tumbler with Lyman corncob media. I have Winchester 231 powder.
I shoot 38 special out of a Ruger Blackhawk and 45 Colt out of a Uberti Schofield.

I was buying 45 Colt cartridges at $0.54 each. Reloading I can easily cut that in half using RNFP 250 gr bullets with Hi Tek coating.

I was paying 0.28 for each 38 Special cartridge. Using Speer JHP I was still averaging .20 to reload my own. Not much savings there but I recently bought 1000 Magtech LRN bullets for $70. Now I’ll also be able to reload 38 special for half the price of store bought.

Edit: I don’t see how I can save money reloading 9mm. I pay .21 per round for store bought 9mm.
I’ve been pricing 9mm bullets at 12 to 20 cents per bullet for Hollow Point.

5 Likes

When I was trying to decide to go into reloading I checked out the price of bullets and other consumables. It looks to me there isn’t much savings to reload common sizes like 9mm. Reloading seems to be much more economical with uncommon or larger cartridges such as .44-40, .45-70 and even 45 Colt.

On your note, yes I am logging each batch of reloads so I know what’s in them. (powder, bullets, primers, everything)

6 Likes

Win 231/ (HP-38?) is fine, I used it a lot before I went to tightgroup. Your not too far off about 9mm, but with the Dillon I run a couple thousand at a time and buy components 5 or 10K at a time when discounted/ sales so some good savings there and also get the loads I am looking for, 100gr light loads for indoor paper and steel, 124 gr IPSC minor, lite 115gr for the woman’s S&W Shield, you know. And the big thing is I don’t buy any loaded ammo except for 22LR, unless a screaming deal on a case of 223 or? pops up, otherwise all reloads.
Now I’m showing off, my reloads (from memory):
22 hornet
.223/5.56
25-45 Sharps
25-06
7.62 X 39
30-06
300 Weatherby
338 Win Mag
340 Weatherby
38/357
9mm
40 S&W
405 Remington
44 S&W/ Mag
45 ACP/ Colt/ Colt Mag
454 Casull
458 SOCOM
45-70
Probably missed something…

5 Likes

.357 and .38 are good ones to reload too.
They cost an arm and a leg for factory ammo, but you save a bunch of money if you reload them. Cast lead bullets make it an even better deal especially for plinking rounds.
Sounds like you’re getting a better deal for .38s in your area, even the “cheap” stuff is going for $18+ per box down here.

3 Likes

Check out Missouri bullet company for pre cast bullets.

3 Likes